Early L46 showdown

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by L61R, Mar 10, 2012.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Dhunter: I just turned three shades of green when you listed not one, but two .25-20's among your collection! The .25-20 seems so rare in the U.S. that question has been raised as to whether it was ever commercially imported or whether all of the specimens in the U.S. were imported by individuals. Do you know?

Of course the same can be said of the rarity of the 7x33 (which I'm sure was never commercially imported), but since I have one of those my envy meter isn't pegged out quite so radically.

2. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Stonecreek- Funny you should say that. You were the first person I thought of when I saw those listed. I can understand why those "plunk" your heartstrings. I don't think I have ever seen one other than the bolts DHUNTER put up.-Misako

3. dhunter

dhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Stonecreek,
    Thanks for the kind words. The previous owners of these rifles informed me that neither example was commercially imported. It is my understanding that for some unknown reason the .25-20 was never commercially imported into the U.S. I also agree with your statement that the 7x33 was never commercially imported to the U.S.

Over the years I have heard reports of estimated production numbers for the .25x20 that vary widely. Based on the number of examples that I have seen I would guess that the total production was somewhat fewer than the .218 Bee, .22 Hornet, or 7x33. It would be great to see some accurate production numbers if they are out there.

I find it interesting that Sako choose to mark rifles in both 6.3x33 R and .25-20. This would seem to indicate that they may have been intended for different markets. The barrels on these two examples have a significantly different barrel contour near the receiver as well, but this could be due to one being of slightly later production.

In my experience the .25-20 seems harder to find than the 7x33. Assuming neither were commercially imported, this is a mystery to me. It would seem that the .25-20 would be a more popular "American” caliber thus making it more attractive to bring back to the states if one had the opportunity.

Misako, I attached a couple of photos for you.

Attached Files:

• 035.JPG
      035.JPG
      File size:
      356.1 KB
      Views:
    • 046.JPG
      046.JPG
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
    • 032.JPG
      032.JPG
      File size:
      42.1 KB
      Views:
    • 045.JPG
      045.JPG
      File size:
      354.9 KB
      Views:
  4. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Don't mean to sound like Randy Jackson but, "WOW" just "WOW". I wasn't expecting beautiful. :clap2::faint3:-Misako

5. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    This is advertised as a L46 I dont think it is an L46 wat do you guys think, the stock looks wrong but where there any later models that took this appearance? 2223193_01.jpg 2223193_05.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  6. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    That is an L46 Deluxe, Ed-Misako

7. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I guess WOW!

Dhunter, those are some rare and beautiful guns!!! And they appear to be in excellent condition.

Thanks for sharing the photo's.

8. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Dhunter...Wow is almost an understatement! Owning two L46's in 25-20 is an outstanding accomplishment, Congratulations! The Mannlicher or Fullstock rifle is Awesome is every sense of the word. I take my hat off...and my shoes!

Edd...the rifle in your pictures is most certainly a L46 De Luxe, and it looks to be in fine condition. Judging by the looks of things it will probably be a later example of one of the finest rifles known to man! Good Luck if you seek to acquire it!-Bloorooster

9. JIA's Dad

JIA's Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kentucky
    dhunter,

Nice, very NICE!!! :bowdown:

10. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    What calibre Ed ?
    Going by the shape of the trigger guard I'd like to have a guess at it being a late model L469 ?

11. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Deersako it is in 222 cal and isnt very expensive I might have a dig at it ?

12. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Dhunter: Fantastic .25-20's! I don't suppose you'd want to trade one for a Mossberg 12-gauge bolt action with C-Lectachoke and a Savage .22 automatic with very little rust?

13. dhunter

dhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Stonecreek,

Thanks for the generous offer. Your bolt action Mossberg with the C-Lectachoke sounds very interesting. By any chance does it have a slip-on recoil pad.

14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No, no slip on pad, but it does have custom pocket knife-carving on the left side of the stock depicting something that looks like either a whooping crane or the Virgin Mary, depending on how the light shines on it -- and a rear sight salvaged from a .22 soldered onto the barrel in case you want to shoot slugs at deer. The slight dent in the barrel about six inches back from the muzzle doesn't seem to have any effect on the patterns -- they center up

15. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Whooping Crane / Virgin Mary

:pound::giggle::laugh:-Bloo

16. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Guys!

I have had a time-out of sorts but thought it be a good time to up this thread.

But first I would like to thank all of you guys who have posted here!!:urock: Very pleasing posts for sore eyes!

But there´s got to be more L46´s out there!? Keep `em coming!

I hope to be able to post more pics of some new L46´s in a while!:tape:

Jim

17. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Yes Edd, original safety of the early L46's.
    Nice looking example that rifle, original one piece Sako rings also - (ocular lense has to come off scope to remove/replace)
    What chambering ?

18. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    edd! Check the first post in this thread and you'll see the two types of early lefty safeties. The one you posted about earlier is a kind of transitional safety and is only found on a few rifles. It was, most likely, a means to allow for scopes to be mounted low which is close to impossible with the first version.

I have only ever seen this on rifles sold in the US and in US catalogs. I have a hunch this was a feature that FI came up with like so many other things during that timespan.

Please let us know if any if you guys own or see one in aby market other than the US.

Jim

19. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks L61r and deersako the information has clarified some confussion now I can go own with other sako ideas I am thinking about. I was begging to get sako withdrawal symptoms so I bought five more and maybe another on the way. This is getting ridiculous but as long as my therapist doesnt know I can live with it. I just hope piper chris doesnt do the family savings on his addiction soon.
    Anyway the L46 is killing me with its slender lines and smouth finish I am only concerned with its trigger, does anyone else think the trigger movement isnt as smooth as it could be. should one interfer with it and improve ins functionality? - *******

20. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Edd!

It´s about time you put your money where your mouth is, and show us all your goodies!:beerchug:

We love to see what´s available in Oz!

Jim