Early L46 showdown

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by L61R, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Edd,

The L46 trigger is tried and true. If no one has fiddled with it - leave it alone. There are some minor adjustments that one can do, but unless you are into precision shooting and functionality you don't need to worry about it. Please look over the forum topics for information and then fire away.

You are just picking up SAKO's like crazy. Don't you think of some of these things before you buy?

Anyway, speaking of the SAKO armory you have built up, how about posting pictures of those gems and share with those of us not as fortunate to be such men (and ladies) of leisure and means to fulfill our appetites. Would love to talk about them instead of the auction rifles.

If you run across a SAKO machine gun (pre 1986), let me know. I'd like to have one of those. I figure you must run into a lot of odd ball stuff and may be just the guy to wander across one.

S-A

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

2. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    I understand your need for eye candy but I am waiting for delivery of alot of my goodies they will turn up soon around november some time, but what makes you think I have so many goodies any I only have around 12 sakos and compared with you boys thats amature. I am looking to increase the collection all the time learning about these rifles is fun navigating the site is not so easy. the search tab doesn't set you in thright direction for example put in L46 and you get nothing appearing then you need to search the entire data base which is OK I guess but time is short and reading through all threads to find what you are looking for specifically can be extremely time consuming but rewardin when time permits. Anyway L61r you encourage discussion opposed to reference style activities as you told me once.
    I also move on alot of my stock as I home in on my interests I am beginning to refine my collecting reducing quantity for quality and condition.
    I will post my collection in full soon, But I have put up alot of pictures of guns I have acquired in the past on other threads they are there if you look in my thread collects.
    Also was not aware Sako made machine guns I know they made big anti-aircraft guns for land and ships and one went up for sale here in Australia about 6 months ago.
    But I am looking for a SAKO shotgun I heard were manufactured for a very short time so if you have or find one let me know/
    By the way most of my purchases come from Overseas as in Australia most guns are very tierd and worn and lack collectability and the good stuff is hidden away in private collections the market here is small and many of our gun were destroyed during gun amnesty periods where the government paid and collected alot of the good sakos and destroyed them.
    Thanks for you interest in my activities.
    regards
    ed

3. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  4. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Great photo of the 25/20 mannlicher
    Both bolts 4 and 5 are consistant with what we see over here

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  5. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Guys!

Haven´t forgot about you but I have been busy elsewhere for a while.

Here is my new L46 from the second production run in 64 - 65 when Sako made some 2500 L46´s.

Mine is a .222Remington with Vixen stamped on the barrel as well as Bofors. Check the other features and I´ll be back soon!

Jim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Jim -- great find! I'm guessing that none of these were exported to the U.S. But with Sako . . . you never know. I'm also guessing that they were only made in .222 since the other L-46 calibers were out-of-fashion by then.

7. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Stone, thanks!

Yeah I am very happy for this one as it is the first one I have seen in real life. I bought it unseen due to the serial number and it was really worth it. And as you know I´m a cheap bastard so I got it cheap as usual!:coffee:

I have seen one second production L46 listed in the US , in the Rock Island Auction catalog from way back. Check the last page in the pdf attached down below.

I also had the impression that they only made triple deuces this late but the one listend in the pdf is a 7x33!? Go figure!?

I would like to know if we have any more owners of L46´s with serial numbers in the 80000 range? And I also would like to see some more pics of all the other L46´s here so come on guys!

Jim

Attached Files:

8. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    L61R A great find indeed, you have excelled again!
    I believe the information at the auction to be correct, they where very carefull about details.
    The rifle is in great shape, thanks for the pics, i like the action shot showing the model and serial number together

9. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    L-46!

Thanks!

Yeah I got lucky when I realized this one was a late one. I hope we get to see some more here in the near future.

Al the best!

Jim

10. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Jim,
    i have really enjoyed reading this thread, thanks to all who have contributed
    i have a different style LH wing safety to share. As you can see it has the second type of bolt stop, developed for the .222 and the third type of wing safety design.
    IMG_8520 - Copy.JPG
    The second photo is a 'Deluxe' or 'Export' model, second type of wing safety on a first year of production rifle with walnut stock and no barrel band

This is my first time with photos, so hope it works out.
    Cheers
    L-46

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  11. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    L-46!

Thanks a lot for posting!!

This shows that you must always expect the unexpected about Sakos!

Thanks again!

Jim

12. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    an odd ball to say the least, i do not know how many of these exist?
    probably only a very small number.
    has any one else seen or have one?
    Was one floating around long ago, anyone remember it?? or even better have it in the vault?
    L-46

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  13. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    One other thing that i noticed, was that looking at your photos of the 'domestic' type rifles, beech stained stock, with the 'type 1' flip over wing safety, is that all the serial numbers on the bolt are on the top of the handle, i thought this was only a early production way of stamping the numbers, but all 'type 2' and '3' wing safetys have the number stamped on the bottom even from the first/ second year of production.
    L-46

14. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hi guys In regards to the early lever like safety not box L46 rifles did they come in rifles without barrel bands.

15. temozon

temozon Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes. At least those with the later wing safety and walnut stocks. I own a Bee 57xx and a 222 62xx w/o barrel bands.

16. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks bsmith because I just bought my second 218 bee and I thought it should have a barrel band. Cheers P.S could you post some pics of your L46?

17. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    I am looking at this 218 and am sure the stock has been reworked and the fore-end modified but am still unsure about the barrel it may be original but I think not
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    paul and L46 what do you guys think

19. rugerbob

rugerbob Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Nova Scotia
    *******:

I can't view Pics

20. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Are these sako early L46 barrel markings. They look interesting and here they are. thanks rugerbob
    sako marks.jpg