Early L46 showdown

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by L61R, Mar 10, 2012.

1. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    WOW what a collection

Now that's some very nice gear I am very impressed must have taken some time to accumulate.
    Dhunter

2. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Does anyone know anything about these barrel marking please.
    Pic in my previous post.

3. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Ok That's fine after some extremely difficult research I discover that it is sako original but very early proof marks on not such a early gun so a factory bitsa like many rifle serial numbers can be misleading at times they used older stock to make this one in 1950. These proof marks also look like they have been put on later someone has tried to copy proofs and stamp the barrel. This looks plausible to me.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  4. rugerbob

rugerbob Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Nova Scotia
    *******:

I would have to agree with your thinking/conclusion, to me the alignment is the telltale sign that is not a factor stamping.

The horizontal stamping on my 25-20, L46 is in a font that is sharper and not so bold.

Hope that help.

Bob

5. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks for your reply Rugerbob you are very kind as I have been waiting for a reply for an unusually long time never have I experienced such treatment on the forum. Ok bad luck maybe no=one knew anything but just a flying comment would have been nice. Regardless Rugerbob has validated my suspicions,
    It is my first counterfeit find I didn't think they were out there till know.
    regards
    (club devotee)

6. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Jim,

Just read your superb article on the L42 & L46 again. My question to the Sako brotherhood & sisterhood is as follows. Are the L 42 left hand safety and the L 46 right hand safety stocks inter - changeable? In other words are the stocks internal profiling cut-out the same?

Regards

Blackjack AKA Mike The Limey

7. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Mike,
    All the early left hand safeties we have seen are the L46 model, the L42 was only a prototype made during war time, and they only made about 6 in total.
    As for the stocks there are many differences on the early ones, the later ones are more easily interchangable.
    The differences are barrel profile, 3 main changes, action port length, two lengths, and bolt stop length and shape, 3 or 4 different ones.
    as a general rule if you need a new stock for your 7x33 than a stock off a similar serial number range will work, but one off a 222 will not.
    the action base and trigger cut outs are all the same for all L46's.
    To give you an example, a 6xxx 7x33 has first type barrel profile, short port and second type bolt stop, a 6xxx 218bee has a larger second type barrel profile same port and bolt stop, a 6xxx 222 has the larger barrel profile longer port and longer bolt stop.
    If you are asking if a left hand safety 7x33 stock will fit a right hand safety action or visa versa than most likely as long as they are both short magazine, or pre 18xxx.
    It is not uncommon to see L46's with a mis matched stock, 20 years ago i did not buy a 218Bee for that reason. The 218 was an early Left hand safety about 5xxx fitted in a later stock with larger barrel channel around the knox form.
    L-46

8. blackjack

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Jim,

Thanks so much for all the information regarding inter-changing stocks for the L46 Models.
    I am in the process of purchasing a L46 .25-20 Win. Cal. The rifle has left hand safety, barrel band, and birch stock. I don't know the serial number yet, as I only secured the deal yesterday on the telephone. I will give you the serial number when I pick the rifle up, which should be in a few weeks time.

I have a L46 .22 Hornet walnut stock made in 1952. The rifle was stocked in Turkish walnut {stunning figure} and I inherited the original stock! I thought the stock would be a good spare for the .25-20 Win. Cal. but the .22-Hornet stock dos not have the barrel band, so probably would not fit the .25-20 Win. Cal. rifle. Thanks once again Jim.

High Hopes

9. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Mike,
    Wow a wing safety 25-20! Fantastic news!
    The stocks may well interchange, the barrel band does not change the stock fit only style.
    If your hornet has a short mag the action port will be the same, only the bolt stop may be a different length.
    Good huntin'
    L-46

10. blackjack

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Jim & L46,

Today I found out the serial number which is 4933. Can any one tell me when this L46 .25-20 Win. was made?

L46 thanks for the information on the stock interchange. Yes my .22-Hornet L 46 does have the short magazine.

High Hopes

11. blackjack

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    P.S. I have not picked the rifle up yet. It is in Buckinghamshire. I am in Hampshire, so it might be a few weeks yet.

Blackjack

12. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Congratulations Blackjack!!

Sure nice find and you deserve it!

If I would venture a wild guess I would say 48-49 (-ish) but I haven´t got my (homespun) serial list with me so I´m not sure.
    Let´s see if L46 will chip in.

And as always, when you get hold of it, pics pics pics or it didn´t happen! :D

Jim

13. blackjack

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Jim,

Just secured a Sako L 46 .25-20 Win. Serial Number 4933 with Birch stock & barrel band. Can you tell me when this rifle was made? I hope to pick the rifle up in a few weeks. Variations on our firearms certificates can take several months here in Hampshire England, so I have to wait it out. I will try to send photographs when I get her home.

Regards Blackjack AKA Mike The Limey

14. blackjack

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Sorry Jim,

I sent to you as you were replying to me. I will promise to send pics, pics, and more pics! I just love the L 46 .25-20 Win. more so than the 7 X 33.

Regards Mike

15. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I just discovered this thread and it is absolutely fabulous.

Nice job and I'm still wiping the drool off of my chin.

rick

16. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Yeah I love it too! I try and re read it every once in a while. Big thanks to Jim for starting it and that full wood .25-20 of dhunter is really something!

17. blackjack

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Sako Lovers,

I found out recently that my L46 .25-20 WCF. No. 4933 came out of production at Sako on the 1st October 1949. After which the rifle was sent to a dealer in Sweden.

Hello Jim,

I did e-mail you last week. It will be in your mail box some where.

Regards Blackjack AKA Mike The Limey

18. kulskar

kulskar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Stonecreek and Jim,
    Thanks great thread. Just noting that “flame birch” is the term used in the lumber industry for curly birch. Like curly maple, ash, etc. this is a natural feature of a small percentage of certain lumber species. Red birch has it more often than white birch. Red birch is the more stable and industrial birch so I assume that is what this is - I am speaking from N America but I assume there is a European equivalent as many northern species are circumpolar.
    By the way so glad to be here. My grandfather came to the US from Finland about 1928 and after he got settled with a family he eventually bought an L46 in 222. I know it was his favorite of just three rifles - people did not own so much back then. My brother has that gun now, so I bought two of them for myself and am learning so much.