1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

Sako equivalent ring mount sizes?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by BritinCH, May 9, 2022.

1. BritinCH

BritinCH Active Member

Country Flag:
    Switzerland
    State/Region:
    other
    These are the original 1" rings and bases my my new A1 Vixen. She's got a budget 3-6x40 scope that I may replace with something higher end.
    As there are more 30mm options around my part of the woods I may also need to furnish her with new ring mounts to fit a 30mm tube.
    Does anyone know which of the Leupold Medium, high or super high ring mounts is closest to these? Same for the optilock ring mounts?

IMG_4926.JPG

2. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Leupold ring mounts or the Sako mounts may all be available in "The ALPS.". What you have are Sako highs (vintage) and 30mm Vintage Sakos are like unicorns.

3. BritinCH

BritinCH Active Member

Country Flag:
    Switzerland
    State/Region:
    other
    Yeah I've come to that conclusion over the weekend having reached all four corners of the internet hence the question about equivalent heights. I can't work out if the Medium or High Leupold ring mounts would put the centre of a 30mm tube at the same height above the bore.

4. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I am mathematically challenged so I can't help there.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    This is a bit of an apples-to-oranges question. The original Sako ring you have with the hole in the base (to reduce weight, not to sight through!) is the "high" model and is very closely equivalent to the "high" ringmouts by Leupold -- but only in the 1" diameter. If going to a 30mm tube (appx 1.18") then the larger tube may displace the total height of the mount by a small amount.

Ultimately, it is the clearance of the objective bell above the barrel which is the controlling factor, not the diameter of the scope tube. If the scope you intend to use has an objective of 40mm or less then the Leupold "low" 30mm mount probably works. If greater than 40mm then you'll likely need the "medium". If 50mm or more, then the "high" will be called for. But good luck having your cheek in contact with the stock when your eye is aligned with the scope's sight picture if you have to use the "highs".

BritinCH likes this.
  6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The "heights" of all the Leupold Ringmounts, both 1" & 30mm, are given on the Leupold website. They show them from top of dovetail to center of scope. If you have any math skills at all you can do the simple addition/subtraction necessary to figure out what the ring height is from dovetail to bottom of scope for both the 1" & 30mm rings. The "heights" of the original Sako ringmounts are also available online. For those computer challenged they are, from top of dovetail to bottom of scope tube, Low- 3/32", Med- 5/16", High- 15/32". You can convert these measurements to metric equivalents. All you have to do is set your scope on the dovetails with the scope bell touching your barrel. Then measure the distance between the dovetail & the scope tube & order the ringmount that gives you more distance. You can also measure the rings you have, if they work for your scope, & compare them to the published measurements & order the rings you need accordingly. If I recall correctly the 1" & 30mm Leupolds put the center of the scope at the same elevation. Your Sako high ringmounts (15/32") are very close to the Leupold high ringmounts (.501"). I know nothing about Opti-loks. Good luck!

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  7. BritinCH

BritinCH Active Member

Country Flag:
    Switzerland
    State/Region:
    other
    Thanks.
    It’s not the maths but the data that was missing and my calipers which are currently in Spain!

I want to know what will work before deciding what/if to buy.

8. BritinCH

BritinCH Active Member

Country Flag:
    Switzerland
    State/Region:
    other
    For anyone looking to do similar. It is the eyepiece outside diameter rather than the Objective that is the most critical factor when moving from 1inch to 30mm tube.
    For the Sako High mounts the max Eyepiece OD is 44mm Max Objective OD is 59mm
    For Leupold Medium (which bring the centre of the tube down 3.5mm) max Eyepiece OD is 41mm Max Objective is 52mm

Most 30mm tubes with up to 42mm Objectives Lenses will have an objective OD of 50-51 mm. However, the eyepiece OD will be over 41mm and the cocking arm will hit the scope.

For my face the medium rings will put my cheek nicely on the rifle but the original SAKO Highs need a cheek riser which I would rather not have to fit.

I used CAD to model several scopes to help me find one that will work.