Estate Auction

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Bama, Jun 8, 2021.

1. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Great information all around. The .280 Remington came out 30 plus years after the.270, so it was hampered by the classic nature and the writings of authors like Jack O,Conner. In 1979 Remington tried to rebrand it to the 7MM-06, then the 7MM Express Remington. Flounder city. The original designation soon followed. It has a following of folks who like the less common stuff, such as 7x57, 6.5x55 and .257 Roberts, but it has new users as well.

I’m a huge fan of the caliber and own a couple (photos below) of GO AV’s. If the one you’re interested in is a GO rifle the serial number will (obviously) begin with GO, then a three digit number up to 500.

Standard AV’s will have typically numbering. If the condition and price meet your satisfaction, then I’d advise it to be a very good catch.

Attached Files:

2. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi guys again & thanks for the prompt replies, Latest info states it is a.280 Ackley improved. is it the same or better, harder to hand load, difficult to get ammo & componants? I am at a loss not being to see it now. Will it have .280 Ackley stamped on the barrel?

3. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Gonna go out on a limb and guess it’s been re-barreled. But a visual inspection will confirm if it’s an original barrel that has been re-chambered, and yes, it should be caliber stamped as such. Frankly, I’d be hesitant unless you have solid build information and it’s priced accordingly.

Factory ammunition and components are like everything else, slim to none. Standard.280 Remington ammunition can be fire formed. The added performance pushes the velocity into the 7MM RM realm.

4. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thanks Big Country,
    I quit watching ML baseball because they pulled the allstar game out of Atlanta, without knowing the facts about Georgia,s revised election laws. I guess I have too much time on my hands and fill it with dreaming of all those vintage & quality made Sako rifles. Best to wait and not be guilty of impulse buying. don't need a rifle that is hard to find ammo for It's hard enough with common cals. but it sure is tempting. Dad said a bargin is a bargin if you need it, good advice if i can follow it!! Like the policeman told the women she had the right to remain silent, but she didn't have the ability!

bigcountry4me likes this.
  5. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Second that.

rick

6. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I have never seen a deluxe rifle that didn’t have the polished, high luster, blued finish.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have had excellent performance from my .280 and have never used anything other than reformed .30-06 brass. I set the .280 FL die to allow a crush fit on the false shoulder which will be a bit above the base of the neck on '06 brass. I load my standard load in this case and have found that it provides exactly the same velocity and accuracy as fireformed cases.

Here is a photo of the original .30-06 case, the reformed loaded round, and the fireformed case after the first firing.

[​IMG]

The .30-06 case is nominally only 2.49" OAL, while the .280 case is nominally about 2.54", so the initial cases are a bit shorter than standard for the .280. However, the reforming and necking-down process stretches the case just a bit, but it will take a number of firings before the case stretches enough to need trimming.

There is no reason this process won't work for the .280 AI, however, the somewhat limited case capacity prior to fireforming might prevent loading full-power loads if the powder fills the AI case fully.

8. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Yesterday I found out what happened to the two parts Sakos that I won on the auction. They were never shipped. Also discovered that I was not alone.

Got a call from B&B Gunshop Apparently they were contracted to do the FFL transfers and ship the pieces to their respective FFL transfer agents. The B&B folk told me that they couldn't ship mine because they did not have a copy of the FFL from my local agent.

Holy Sakosmoke Sakoman. On the 21st I paid for my winnings and had a copy of my FFLs' license sent to Pifer's and I received an acknowledgement stating that both the payment and FFL were received in good order. So during the process of transferring the items to B&B Pifer's conveniently forgot to include the FFLs with the items that required them for shipment. I might add that my items are still waiting to be shipped along with at least eight other purchasers winnings that require an FFL for shipment. I was charged $85 per item to be treated like crap by Pifers.

rick

9. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I spoke with Pfier's this morning and they have agreed to credit back the $170 I paid for getting my shipment out the door and down here to my FFL for transfer.

rick

10. sws1213

sws1213 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sorry you were treated that way. My experience was pleasant with them. They called me the day after the auction for payment info, then B&B called the next day with their info for receipt of my gun shop's FFL. Gun was shipped that day, and was in my hands one week to the day after the auction. Guess I was one of the lucky ones!

11. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The .280 Ackley Improved is one of a family of wildcat cartridges developed by well-known experimenter P.O. Ackley. Like many of the others, it was created by reducing the taper of the case and increasing the shoulder angle. This results in an increase of about 5% in case capacity. Typical loadings get up to 100 fps faster than a standard .280. The .280 Ackley Improved was standardized in 2008 by Nosler and accepted by SAAMI. Nosler makes loaded ammo and brass. .280 Ackley brass can also be made by fireforming .280 Rem cases in an Ackley chamber. I'm not sure whether it is considered safe to fire standard .280 ammo in a .280 chamber to fireform the brass, or if a reduced handload is required. If I were to acquire a rifle in that caliber, I'd just buy some Nosler brass and/or ammo.

The rifle in question might have an original Sako barrel rechambered to .280 Ackley. It's an easy job, just ream out the chamber. Or, the gun might have been rebarreled. A photo of the chamber area should tell the tale.

The whole Ackley Improved thing seems like a lot of trouble to get an extra 100 fps, but that's just my personal opinion. I'll stick with my AV in 7x64 Brenneke. :D

Bucktote likes this.
  12. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Careful gents.........

A proper 40 degree Ackley Improved chamber has the headspace of the parent cartridge....MINUS 0.004".

Just something to consider........

13. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    In other words, it's a crush fit? A good argument for getting headstamped Nosler brass in the first place. One of the sources I looked up mentioned using reduced loads for fireforming; perhaps that's the reason.

I always prefer to use properly headstamped brass rather than form it out of something else. I've had several oddball calibers over the years, but the only one I ever actually had to make cases for was the .35 Newton, and that wasn't an experience I care to repeat. Over the past few years, the availability of headstamped brass for rare and wildcat calibers has improved. I was able to find 6.5-06 a couple of years ago, and I've seen listings for a lot of cartridges that you might not expect. You can even sometimes find brass for obscure European drilling calibers. Factory headstamped brass can prevent an expensive and dangerous mistake when packing ammo for a trip to the range.

Bucktote likes this.
  14. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thank you all my Sako friends.
    I have decided to punt on the rifle even if it is a left hand model.
    I am not comfortable with a rifle that may be hard to hand load for and it has the potential for mistakes that could be costly. I was spotting for a friend that had a 30/06 & a .243 with similar colored and figured stocks. He was zeroing in @ 200 yds from a solid rest and picked up a .243 round and fired it in his 30/06. It made a funny sound and we looked at each other & what happened in disbelief. There was no apparent damage to the 30/06 as it served him well for many years after that. He promptly seperated the rifles & ammo cans and only placed one at a time on the shooting bench. Get in a hurry and things can go south in a hurry. He was shooting on his lunch break & had to hurry back to work. A recipe for disaster !!

15. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Kevin is correct that when a standard chamber is reamed to the A.I. (Ackley Improved, not Artificial Intelligence) configuration the barrel usually needs to be set back enough that the standard case will headspace with a crush fit in the expanded chamber. Regardless, every chamber is a rule unto itself, which is why I like to neck down .30-06 brass, leaving a "false" shoulder in the right place for perfect headspacing.

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable (and advisable) to use full power loads to fireform brass for an Ackley chamber. Actually, "full power" loadings for a standard cartridge in an Ackley chamber will result in lower pressures and velocity since the pressure vessel formed by the chamber is larger -- larger space/same amount of gas = less pressure.

16. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Stonny, Your knoledge and that of others in this forum seems to be unending in the relm of Sako and I am sure in many other things. as well.
    It seems a lot of ammo, Powder, primers & time are consumed fire forming casings for the .280 Ackley Improved. Buying the correct ammo & saving the cases I think is the way to go. However I see a potential for danger with a rifle caliber that can be easily mistaken for another so I will leave that to other shooters that may be more accustomed to that sort of thing, as said in my former post. Thanks to all for your guidance B/T

17. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Just for imformation's sake can anyone estimate or hazzard a guess at the worth of a left handed Sako AV, .280 Ackley Imp. rifle in excellent condition ??

18. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    To a left-handed hunter looking at a record book mule deer or elk standing across a canyon at 275 yards it is worth its weight in sterling, if not gold.

Otherwise, a LH rifle is slow to move for sellers and hard to find for buyers. This makes it very difficult to put a price on it. Some people believe this should make the market discount them, while others believe this should make them bring a premium. It very much depends on whether you have a LH buyer looking for a rifle in that caliber.

19. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    As already mentioned, if I was looking for a left handed version of any Sako I would not hesitate for a 280 AI. A very fine caliber that would be great for any NA game. Nosler ammo and brass, even though hard to find, would not scare me away from that rifle. If you reload at all this and a little reading will fill you in on what you need to do. Buy it and enjoy.....