• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako FinnBear in 264 Mag on GB

• Thread starter Deleted member 14372
  • Start date

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

D

Deleted member 14372

This 264 Mag has caught my eye. The pad is a little worn but not so bad. I am not familiar with those rings. Are the Sako? Leupold? Are they any good? I know there are lots of rings out there that people put on those dovetails that actually damage the dovetails. Any input would be appreciated.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/911412188

Very pretty little blonde! You don’t see many like that. Most have that dark brown stained furniture. 4 digit serial numbers are a good sign as well. The rings appear to be Redfield or Burris style turn in rings, which are often found popular on early Sako’s. They are functional and solid ring systems.

Sweet .264 win mag!

bloo

Thanks, Bloo. Am I right that they seemed to have swapped out the older sling mounts for QD?

I believe it should have a front sight. Finnbear Standard Sporters came with front sights. Deluxe Sporters came with or without sights. Its may be priced in the high end of its range, but its in the range. If you get it, I think you'll not regret it.

Hmm, what would explain the lack of a front sight? Rebarrel? Restock? Could it be a deluxe barreled action dropped into a standard stock?

Hmm, what would explain the lack of a front sight? Rebarrel? Restock? Could it be a deluxe barreled action dropped into a standard stock?

The answer is yes, But it could also be a rare fluke that is 100% original and all Sako. We've all learned that Sako has produced many one of one, or a few of very few guns that are original and all Sako. It's just that normally the Standards came with sights.

Thanks. It’s one of the reasons I like the standards. Maybe they thought the poor person who could only afford a standard couldn’t afford a scope.

I’ll ask the seller some questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen a Standard stock that light in color. The front sight would have been removed, which would require rebluing. That combination indicates to me that both the stock and the metal have been refinished -- although it is impossible to say this conclusively from just the photos.

Thanks. It’s one of the reasons I like the standards. Maybe they thought the poor person who could only afford a standard couldn’t afford a scope.

I’ll ask the seller some questions.

BD,
I’d recommend caution especially at the price. The rifle has lots of suspect flaws. If you really dissect the photos there are many dings, dents etc. Please see photos 17 and 27, as well as other. The pad seems to be separated at the heel. The grip cap is dinged and the screw is rusted. I also would be concerned about the base set screws and the corrosion in photo 23. I also see rubs and perhaps some freckles in the bluing. I don’t mean to be critical but the rifle just seems suspect to me especially at $1500. Take care.

Front sights….I missed that originally, but it is odd to see a Sporter model without one. With De lux’s , I understood once that front sights were on 2/3 of them.
Blondes..I used to have a couple early L579’s , both sporters, that were super light in color. One I sold off because the stock had a crack in the bolt pocket, tiny but still. The other I gifted away to a cousin.
There are definitely better .264’s out there for less money.
Bloo

Thanks, guys! I’ll wait for another one.

I can't tell from the photos if the wood is refinished or not. It could be, but it would have been pretty difficult to get every last trace of stain out, especially from the checkered areas. It does look more like an oil finish than the typical Sako varnish. What is more interesting is that the seller gives the barrel length as 25". The usual Sako barrel length is 23.5", but some early Magnums were close to 26". It could just be that the seller doesn't know how to measure barrel length (i.e. to the bolt face). It could also be that it's a 26" barrel with the last inch cut off. This gun makes me kind of nervous. I've seen better .264's on GB sell for less money. I'd say BD is right to give it a miss.

Here is another 264. Recoil pad doesn't seem original but he also says there are no importer marks so maybe this was a european pad? Bofors? I had the understanding that these were rare and would be well over $2,500. It is missing one sling mount but i imagine that one could find a replacement?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912285896

Hi Bernie’s Dad,

It’s an aftermarket pad. The Bofors Steel stamp is visible in pic 6.

Those bases, would they have set screws or be drilled and tapped ?

Wow. Good eye! I’ll stay away

The barrel has been chopped -- the last thing you want in a .264 which needs as much barrel as it can get in order to achieve the velocities you buy a .264 for.

It has a recessed crown, but is not counterbored. You can see the rifling out to the crown. That is definitely not a factory Sako crown; as Stonecreek says, the barrel has been chopped. The Weaver mounts slide onto the dovetails and are secured with set screws.

It's a pity that a rare early gun like that .264 has been messed with. It's been downgraded from highly collectible to shooter grade, definitely not worth the asking price.

Latest posts

Back