VL63 Finnwolf sets

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by Joemac, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Joemac

Joemac Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I have a question for you all. I have come across these sets(not many). I see there where 175 made and was wondering the value of these in todays market. I have seen them for about 5k to 9 k unfired with the boxes. And seem like a big gap. I know pics help with condition. Looking for thought on this since I'm new to site and just seen these guns for the first time not that long ago
    thanks

2. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Many times the asking price is a deterrent to the actual sale of many firearms. Such is the case with some of those sets. The reasons are many and I don't wish to expound on them. Suffice to say that a real nice set of them should be worth nearing 6K. A fine single example worth nearing 2K and a nice shooter about 1.5K. The Finnwolf is a rather complicated piece of machinery and not for all of us. I have always been a bit of a tinkerer so taking things apart to better understand them is not a good plan A if you own one. Do that and you will become an expert at finding help putting it back in shooting condition. You will also become acquainted with Marlin 92 (A member of this forum).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    icebear and Tomball like this.
  3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Absolutely right. I am one of the most fearless takers-apart of things mechanical in the Milky Way galaxy, and I won't touch a Finnwolf.

misako50 and tilleyman like this.
  4. tilleyman

tilleyman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    I'd always wanted a Finnwolf, very elegant lines... there are a few DW Custer numbered limited edition commemorative models that were made for the Australian market that come up from time to time, usually NIB with tags.

I finally had an option on a DW Custer in .308... nearly mint, however when looking at it closely the level of fit and finish was nothing like what I had expected of a vintage Sako of that era!
    The metalwork was not polished... it was not even very well linished, quite a coarse grit used. Stock wood rather plain.
    It also came with a receipt for the repair of a broken firing pin tip... apparently they are prone to this when dry firing, so a snap-cap must always be used.
    Magazines virtually impossible to find.

In the end I passed... even when available new, a Finnwolf seemed more of a Sako collectors item... a Safe Queen never meant to be used in the field vs the numbers of well worn L461, L579 and L61Rs.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  5. Joemac

Joemac Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania

6. Joemac

Joemac Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region: