1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

Got questions about the Factory Records Services? Ask here!

Discussion in 'Factory Records Services' started by L61R, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Krazyntx

Krazyntx Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    A gunsmith to consider if you don't get a recommendation on a "Finnwolf expert", would be Powers Metal Works in Duson, LA. I provided a link below. John Powers is a Master gunsmith and master machinist who does all types of gunsmithing from simple repairs to complete restorations. He used to be close to my area and was my gunsmith for several years before moving back to Louisiana to be closer to family. I watched over time as he re-barreled a Sako rifle and also as he restored several Winchester lever action rifles. If he cannot find a part he will make it in his shop as he has done that for me several times. I'm a retired Engineer and I'm amazed at this knowledge of heat treating of steel. Besides being a trained machinist he has had some obvious extra training on metallurgy. He also makes some custom rifles and handguns. He is honest, humble and fairly quiet when you talk to him but he will flat out tell you if something cannot be repaired rather than giving you BS.

I have some non-Sako firearms which need to be restored. Those will be shipped to him as he is the only one that I would trust on restorations or even a major repair.

Powers Metal Works LLC - Gunsmithing, Gun Restorations

Unclekax likes this.

2. 7x57hunter

7x57hunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Hi guys…I sent in a request back on 5/18…I received a response the same day but it was for the wrong model. I reply back and was notified that it was their mistake and they would send the correct information. It’s been weeks and nothing…and no response to my 2 follow up emails. Does anyone know if maybe the person who does this is sick or on vacation? Or does it take a while normally?

Thanks

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The response to factory records requests is all done by volunteers. Sometimes there is a delay or wires get crossed, but not often. I'll check on this for you and see if we can get you your information.

It's kinda like an experience I had a few weeks back with a guy I was expecting a contract from. I hadn't heard from him in a couple of weeks and feared that he had skipped on the deal. Then I found that he had had emergency back surgery and his absence was legitimate. I'm glad I had enough patience not to pull the plug on the deal, which would have done us both damage.

FLT likes this.
  4. 7x57hunter

7x57hunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    I received the information, thank you!

FLT likes this.
  5. Dalton

Dalton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I was wondering how would I figure out the year of mfg for a Sako coltsman deluxe in 264 win mag?

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The Coltsman Deluxe models were made at the Sako factory. Just submit a request for a records search & you should find out when it was made & shipped to Colt. The standard models were made at the Colt factory, but one can find out when the action was shipped by Sako to Colt.

Dalton likes this.
  7. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Paulson is correct. If it is a Deluxe (which was made entirely by Sako) then it will show up in both the inspection and the shipping records just like a Sako.

If it is a standard grade, those were made on Sako actions and most of them put together by a contractor (believed to be a company called the "Jefferson Rifle Company" which appears to have operated out of the High Standard facility located near Colt's in Hartford, CT). In that case we would have only the date that the action was inspected by Sako and not the actual date of manufacture once the action was shipped to the U.S.

Wayne and Dalton like this.
  8. ERP

ERP Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    I sent my $10 in last weekend for a Serial number dating. How long does it usually take to get an answer to email or other. Thanks
    Today is the 11th...

9. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Be patient! The process is tedious because of how Sako kept records & it is all done by volunteers not full time researchers.

10. ERP

ERP Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Ok...now that I know.
    Thanks

11. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You should have received an email response on May 8. Check your spam folder.

ERP likes this.
  12. ERP

ERP Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Thank you,
    It was in my spam folder with about a hundred other fraud emails. Thanks for the reply, and I have a 1959 L41 Sako in the harem. It's 63 years old.
    I wonder if I can get Social Security for it. Seems they pay to just about anyone and anything these days...lol

misako50 likes this.
  13. JethroBodine

JethroBodine Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    I tried to log in to the Sako Collectors Club to get Factory records for my Sako's but it wouldn't accept my login using my info from this Forum. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
  15. JethroBodine

JethroBodine Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    I tried my user name and my email but neither worked. I went ahead and paid for 3 at the member price, hopefully it works. Thanks!