• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

I MIGHT HAVE A PROBLEM

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I keep buying m995 s i now have a 7mm mag 7mmstw 30-378 375 h@h so what to do now 416 rem now the hunt is on for one of them going to hopefully find the whole family for the collection one day.

Jody. I wish you all the luck in the world and I do not want to dampen your hopes, but I doubt that you will find the three most elusive ones of the family. Those are the .308, 280 Rem and 9.3x62. The very few of these that may have been imported to this country are being held very securely by collectors or non-existent. I doubt that if anyone has one of these, that they would be inclined to even admit it. If anyone has one I sure would like to hear about it. I am speaking of original factory production and not re-barreled. Sakojim.

CerebralDistotion. Ah yes, lovely, lovely little darlings. Now if only I could find an original M995 .308 in America, I would be ecstatic. Importing to the U.S. appears to be impossible. Sakojim.

CerebralDistortion. Probably not impossible. But as I recall from past discussions on this site, it was a matter of finding an importer to work with, paying very high fees, lots of paper work and months of waiting all adding up to a futile effort. It seemed like the end results were not worth the effort considering the costs. We are now facing new and stricter gun control laws in our country, so not a worth while project. Maybe some one on this site has had recent experience and could pass on some advice. It would be a good topic of discussion anyway. In years past when conditions were evidently much less restrictive, many hunting rifles were brought back by military personnel from foreign stations. I did have the fortune to acquire one decades ago that was purchased in Europe by a high ranking officer. It had a front sight which was not common on rifles of that caliber which were sold in The USA. I sure miss the 'good old days gone by'.
Sakojim.

Any FFL dealer is eligible to import up to 50 firearms per year on behalf of individual customers without obtaining an importer's license. The dealer has to apply for a permit stating the model, caliber, barrel length, etc. This typically takes from 3 to 8 weeks turnaround. The dealer cannot import the gun for his inventory or resale, only on behalf of the individual customer (who he then transfers it to in the regular manner). Handguns and military firearms are not eligible for import in this manner.

The problem is in the cost of shipping and the cost of a "bonded warehouse" to receive the gun on this side of the pond at whatever port of entry it is shipped to.

Thank you stonecreek. Sounds like it might not be as much trouble as I thought except for arrangements to purchase from a foreign source. I assume that some one must also be available to handle the export paperwork and shipping from the source to the "bonded warehouse". Sounds pretty involved and would be much more expensive than the rifle would be worth. Might cut costs per item if a larger number of items were processed. I wonder if there might be an FFL in the United States that could put this together at a reasonable price. There seem to be a few desirable models of Sakos that our importers neglected to put on the market in this country that are available in other countries that collectors in the USA would love to have. Sakojim.

Jody, There were at least 8 standard calibers and 14 magnum calibers made as Sakojim noted in an old post. I have one marked LAZZERONI CAL. 7.82 (308) WARBIRD ser# 234655 which is a different serial number range than earlier rifles. Maybe since it has a stainless steel barrel and one of the 3 types of factory muzzle breaks? Or possibly it was made after Beretta bought Sako It is engraved on the right side of the barrel imported by Beretta with all of the warnings. The magazine is a 95-2.
Also, Sakojim I was informed by my importer that the current wait time for a firearm to clear paperwork is 4 months to enter the country; I have another Sako on the way! Wayne
-

Wayne. There were 22 or more different calibers in the M995. I do not know if some other calibers were distributed in other countries or not as Sako built rifles to specs for importers-distributors in each country. The Lazzeroni Firebird and Warbird did not come from the factory with a muzzle brake as far as I know. I believe that the M995 was discontinued some time before Beretta bought Sako. I would appreciate a PM if you would be so kind. I would like to have importing information please since it would be an entirely new process for me and you could save me much time and frustration. Thank You for the information. Sakojim.

It the hunt thats the best part of this project that I'm on would only hope to achieve my goal but that being said we all have something to strive for in life .

It the hunt thats the best part of this project that I'm on would only hope to achieve my goal but that being said we all have something to strive for in life .
It took me three years to find my M995 in 6.5x55 and that's the most common one over here.

Then I was offered three rifles in two months time... One in a McMillan A5 with a toasted barrel, one rebarreled in 6.5x55AI and one bone stock standard. Could only afford to buy two at the time and when I was offered the AI I had already bought the other two...

The A5 is now sitting in a TRG-42 stock and is a 280AI (got a stock stock for it as well). Anybody here interested in a "write up" of this project?

Jody. You are right. I have always admired quality in many different varieties and as I aged I have narrowed the field to M995s. It is a very high quality hunting model that was introduced at the wrong time and did not gather popularity until after its discontinuance. It has become a favorite for many as reflected by the unavailability of certain calibers. By the way, I believe that the Lazzeroni Firebird and Warbird were the only stainless M995s. Please correct me if I am wrong. I would still like to hear of any available in .308, 280 Rem, or 9.3x62. I would like to know if anyone in the U.S. actually has one, but I would not blame them for being secretive. LOL (They could let us know anonymously!)
CerebralDistotion. It is definitely difficult to find any Sako of a popular caliber in excellent original condition. That is one of the things that occasionally make collecting a rewarding challenge. It definitely is getting more difficult to find collector or good hunting model quality rifles because of the ever increasing gun control laws. At the rate restrictions are increasing, it may soon cause collecting to become an extinct hobby in America.
I am sure many on this forum would like to see pictures and a description of your project. Sakojim.

I keep buying m995 s i now have a 7mm mag 7mmstw 30-378 375 h@h so what to do now 416 rem now the hunt is on for one of them going to hopefully find the whole family for the collection one day.
I had one I took to Africa (Namibia) - too much gun for the game I shot BUT it really had knock down power! VERY accurate too.
I sold it to a friend who lives in London. He'd probably sell it to you but getting it to the USA might be a problem!

Back