• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L-579 Ser.#190

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

pjc7250

Can anyone give me a little history on my L-579 round receiver and what type of bases I need? also, what is this receiver worth in the "white"? It is chambered in 243 win and doesn't look like it was ever fired. The barrel is not Sako and maybe a Douglas, not sure. Thanks--Pat. I uploaded pic's.

Can anyone give me a little history on my L-579 round receiver and what type of bases I need? also, what is this receiver worth in the " white"? It is chambered in 243 win and doesn't look like it was ever fired. The barrel is not Sako and maybe a Douglas, not sure. Thanks--Pat.

Attachments

• DSC00499.JPG
    DSC00499.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00504.JPG
    DSC00504.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 14
Can anyone give me a little history on my L-579 round receiver and what type of bases I need? also, what is this receiver worth in the " white"? It is chambered in 243 win and doesn't look like it was ever fired. The barrel is not Sako and maybe a Douglas, not sure. Thanks--Pat.

Attachments

• DSC00499.JPG
    DSC00499.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00504.JPG
    DSC00504.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 12

Attachments

• DSC00499.JPG
    DSC00499.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00504.JPG
    DSC00504.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 14

Attachments

• DSC00499.JPG
    DSC00499.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00504.JPG
    DSC00504.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00499.JPG
    DSC00499.JPG
  • DSC00504.JPG
    DSC00504.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00499.JPG
    DSC00499.JPG
  • DSC00504.JPG
    DSC00504.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00499.JPG
    DSC00499.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00504.JPG
    DSC00504.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 13
PJC: You apparently have a "put together" action. It is stamped "Imported by Stoeger" (making it postt-1978), while the floorplate has the square tang and "s" release of very early L579's of 1960-1963 or so. The magazine box also appears to show traces of an old bluing job. I can't say why the action does not have its original bottom metal, but perhaps it was used in a previous life as a single shot.

The actions markings are also in an unusual place which would be below the stock line and invisible on a finished gun, unlike the regular markings that are higher on the receiver's side on most Sakos. The apparent serial number of "190" is very low. This indicates to me that your action was a part of a special run made for some custom manufacturer (many custom manufacturers such as Browning, H&R, and Magnum Research specified the round top receiver.)

Despite being something of a mongrel, the action would finish into a very nice custom rifle and someone looking for a solid basis for a custom gun would pay close to the price of a "salvage" rifle for for it.

Scope bases for a Browning Safari in .243/.308 would likely fit it.

Pat-Another picture worth a thousand words. I just realized I have two very nice stocks that fit that action and the bottom metal. The scope mounts for the sako acton browning safari will fit but there is a specific model number of the correct ones with the proper screw hole spacing. I have seen that type of ation a few times but he bottom metal is not period correct as Stonecreek pointed out. Would you be kind enough to let me know if the trigger has been reworked on it. Thanks for posting the picture. -Mike

Mike, the trigger is all Sako and marked Finland. Accuflite is close to where I live and JB is one of the biggest Sako dealers I know. JB has seen just about every type of Sako out there and even he was a lttle perplexed with my receiver. JB gave me a lot of great options for this receiver.......but all are not exactly cheap. JB dealers very precise accurate Sako firearms. I will try to send you more pic's showing the trigger. I may be interested in one of your stocks for this receiver. Can you send or post a picture of your stcks? Can you provide me with the correct Browning Safari model # for the scope bases I need so I can try to get them. There is a gun show this weekend and I will look for the bases. JB told me that it wouldn't be prudent to do anything with this receiver until I first found the proper scope bases for this receiver. Good advice.

Can you send or post a picture of what the bottom metal for this receiver looks like in case I run into one at the gun show this weekend?

Pat- You can use the PM system( upper right corner) to give me your email addy. If you have problems, I'll send you one. I'll take some pics tonight and send them to you. The trigger part that I was asking about rework is the actual trigger not a trigger housing make over . I needed to make myself clearer when I asked originally.- Mike- misako50

pjc: The correct bottom metal will have a rounded front end on the magazine floorplate tang and a round plunger release for the floorplate. There's really no advantage in changing out the bottom metal, however be aware that the bottom metal you have is very slightly wider than the later bottom metal. Therefore, if you buy a stock for a later gun, the magazine cut will have to be widened by a hair. I take it from Mike's comments that the two stocks he has are made for the old style bottom metal, therefore should be a drop-in fit for your bottom metal.

Scope bases aren't too hard to come by, particularly the Weaver-type cross lock bases. Even if the screw holes are mismatched, it is simple to drill new screw holes in the aluminum of the Weaver bases. Some very nice rings like Burris Z-rings and others are now made to fit the Weaver bases. You might cross-reference bases for both the Browning Safari (Sako L579 action) and the same in the H&R Ultra.

Since the bridge and the receiver ring are identical in height (unlike a Mauser, Winchester 70, and many other bolt guns), it is fairly simple to make custom bases from base blanks available from Redfield, Leupold, and others. It's a simple matter of drilling a few holes in the right place which even a neophyte gunsmith can accomplish.

I sent Redfield an e-mail. They said Redfield #72 and #71 are the mounts I need. Anybody use these mounts? Pat.

Pat-Does redfield have them or is that just what they numbered the discontinued ones. BTW - I sent you an Email- Regards, Mike

pjc,

I think I have a set of Sako bases and rings for this design. I have them sitting in a box and not being used. If you could measure the distance between the screw holes (center to center in mm), I will let you know if they will work.

Thanks

emmerth

Mike, Redfield e-mailed me and said that these front and rear bases is what I need. The numbers are just the last two numbers. When I get home I will check my e-mail and post the entire numbers. however, the two piece bases appear to be Weaver style bases that have cross slots cut into them. I'm not sure these are what I need. PAT.

Emmerth, I will measure the front and rear. Like you said, I need to measure from middle of screw hole to middle; correct.

Nobody had scope bases at the gun show I was at today in Monroeville. I will have to wait 2 months until the gun show in Greensburg arrives. There is a guy that sells tons of bases and rings. I'm almost sure he will habe the Redfield Safari grade base or browning base I need. PAT.

Latest posts

Back