Short Actions L46 issue

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Cayle, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Cayle

Cayle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Just had a J.C. Higgins/Sako L46 come into the shop today. First one of these I've dealt with and it's in excellent shape. The bolt won't go into the receiver unless the trigger is pulled. Once that happens the trigger is dead. The safety won't budge and seems to be stuck in "Fire". The bolt is cocked (or so it seems).

I'm assuming the trigger shouldn't need to be pulled in order for the bolt to be returned to the receiver, just the bolt release on the side of the receiver. The bolt goes in about 95% of the way but won't go in any further and close unless the trigger is pulled. The trigger is dead because the sear is already tripped and there is nothing there to release the firing pin inside the bolt.

The safety won't budge whether the bolt is in the receiver or out. Everything appears clean and well kept. This thing is in about 95% condition.

Any ideas?

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The problem has to be in that locked-up safety. I am having trouble visualizing the exact fault in the system, but I suspect the safety is causing the problem. You are correct that the bolt should slide into an L46 receiver without pulling the trigger. I'd start by soaking the bolt in your favorite remedy to see if that will free up the safety. If not, you'll have to take it apart. I assume this is the rotating safety on the right-hand side of the bolt, not the early Mauser-type safety. If it doesn't free up with a soaking, you'll have to take it apart. Somewhere on this site there is a post with illustrated instructions for taking apart an L46 bolt. I saw it the other day while looking for something else, but I don't know exactly where it is. You should be able to find it with the search function in the blue band at the top of the page.

3. Cayle

Cayle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Thank you for your help.

Yes, this is the rotating safety. Looks like I'll be hunting for that tutorial and taking that safety apart. Shouldn't be a big deal.

4. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
  5. gunner620

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
  6. gunner620

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Cayle, I sent you a private message. Jim

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Soak the safety part of the bolt in Kroil for a couple days, then blast it out with one of the aerosol gun cleaners. Taking the little side plate off makes it easier. Try this twice before taking it apart. If you do have to take it apart, you will understand why I recommend to try soaking it first. Good Luck!

marlin92 and icebear like this.
  8. Cayle

Cayle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Well, I'm seeing some weird things with this bolt.
    First, it is "cocked" but the firing pin is sticking out the front of the bolt. I can't push it back into the bolt with a punch or anything.
    Second, the safety seems to be in the "Fire" position but it is stuck.
    Third, I can twist the bolt head and uncock it but the firing pin section doesn't move and the tab doesn't ride down into the recess of the cocking groove. I can also recock it by turning the bolt by hand and that shouldn't happen. I will usually wrap a shoestring around my hand and the tab and pull it to compress the firing pin spring then turn the bolt head into the cocked position. The firing pin spring won't budge. It seems like the bolt head is stuck in the cocked position and the firing pin is stuck in the fired position.
    Obviously the safety is a firing pin block type safety given the way everything is happening or not happening.
    Now, everything in the bolt seems stuck which isn't odd down here in Florida. I've seen a ton of guns that are in great shape externally but are locked up internally because of either corrosion or whatever they lubed it with 40 years ago has turned to molasses. It seems like everything in the bolt is "out of time" with everything else if you know what I mean. We'll see if we can get that side cover off or the bolt torn apart.

9. Cayle

Cayle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Gunner, I've found the .pdf file.

The fun part is removing the pin holding the safety lever on the safety shaft. It's not budging. It's going to spend a few days in penetrating fluid then a few days in the ultrasonic tank. Hoping that will loosen things up to the point that it will work or I can tear it apart.

Thanks for your help everyone.