• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L461 twist

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

DanekM

My reloading book states that the twist rate for .222 magnum is 1:14 except for Sako which is 1:12. My rifle has a serial number 66xxx. Can you tell me what the twist is for this rifle? thanks, MJD

Thank you. I've read those and other posts, which give opinions of other forum people. They may be knowledgeable, but I was hoping to hear from the Sako company folks who should really know, based on the serial number, without a doubt.

I was hoping to hear from the Sako company folks who should really know, based on the serial number, without a doubt.
:p:D:p:D:p:D . . . .:rolleyes:
You obviously don't know "Sako company folks". Without a doubt. First, Sako rarely if ever responds to inquiries. Second, even if they did respond, no one currently at Sako would even know what a .222 Magnum is since the last ones they made were in the 1970's. Using higher mathematics you can calculate that to be around 50 years ago.

Wrap a tight, oily patch around a cleaning rod with a ball bearing handle. Place a piece of tape on it marked so that you can see when it has made one full revolution as the patch passes down the bore. The distance the rod has traveled is equal to the twist.

Now, after gaining the knowledge it is highly likely that the rifle will still shoot the same bullets with the same accuracy as before you knew what the exact twist was -- unless, of course, you damage the muzzle crown in taking your vital and indispensable measurement.

Thanks, everyone. Yes , I know how to measure it. Just lazy. I appreciate your comments, thanks again.

I was interested because I wondered whether or not to try some of the heavier/longer bullets. With the cost of reloading stuff today, I thought a little knowledge might avoid some expenditures.

Let us know what the rod and patch say, I am hanging on the edge of my seat! (I am lazy too!) I am going to have to look at my 412S in .223 as well. I assumed that, being from the early 80's, it would have a twist to stabilize 55 grain stuff but probably not 62 grain stuff.

Thanks, everyone. Yes , I know how to measure it. Just lazy. I appreciate your comments, thanks again.

I was interested because I wondered whether or not to try some of the heavier/longer bullets. With the cost of reloading stuff today, I thought a little knowledge might avoid some expenditures.
Unbelievable!!! I can think of another use for your cleaning rod, but my wife says I have to be nice.

Honestly, I’ve never bothered with twist rates, period. I’ve tried different bullets as many rifles prefer one over another, settle on a tight pattern & use it in the field. Using different bullet type variations make it interesting in the field once I make a note on differing points of impact, i.e., milled solids, hollow points, non-lead & bonded.
It has worked out quite well so far. I would not be able to stand myself either if my rifles shot any better….🥴
Cheers

Last edited:
I think the information posted on this site is the best you are likely to find regarding Sako firearms.

Last seen..Aug 2022

I’m not much on twist either…It’s about the bullet , , only as long as it’s twisted properly. I buy what I can afford, taking notice of what does better. If a particular bullet performs really well, I buy more of those.
.222 and it’s big bro magnum ? … heck, they shoot so silly tight to begin with using almost anything up to 55-60 grains

Hi friends,
Common sense allows that we can't change the barrel twist, but we can change the bullet weights, powder brand & charge rates even the brass cases. It is a lot of fun trying to tweek all the best results we can wring out of our rifles. Case in point,
Interarms .243 1-10 twist best load = 100 gr Federal premium @ 2,960,FPS
Sako .243 1-10 twist best load =95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip @3.032 FPS
Both rifles capable of sub MOA if I do my part! And Mr. Paulson If I listen to my wife I seem to stay out of trouble!! Stay well, shoot straight & all the best!! B/T

A few years ago I built some AR-15's with various twist rates to see if I could match bullet weight to twist rate. The results were inconclusive, to say the least. The fast twist (1/7", 1/8") shot best with 77 grain Sierra MatchKings - but I could have guessed that. Nothing shot well with M855 62 grain ball; I later found out from a friend who is a police sniper that M855 just plain isn't very accurate as the penetrator core isn't precisely centered. So I said to hell with it and sold the AR's. I'm much happier now for not worrying about barrel twist. I've gotten the best accuracy out of .222 and .222 Magnum Sakos with 52-53 grain MatchKings (one is a boattail, one is a flat base). Both shoot like crazy. I doubt any of the older Sako .222/.222 Magnums would stabilize bullets much over 55 grains. Some of them, on the other hand, do quite well with 40 grain bullets. That kind of varies between individual guns, but it's worth trying.

Hello again. I finally got around to measuring the twist of my L461 which according to its serial number was built in 1964. I measured the twist at 10 inches, or close. From what I've read, most do not have that quick a twist, I've read mostly about 1:14 and 1:16. One article on a heavy barrel 1:10. Do you think I screwed up the measurement, or is it possible I do have a 1:10? I've not tried bullets heavier than 55 grain; it shoots them very well. Anyone have some .222 Mag brass they are wanting to get rid of?

I finally got around to measuring the twist of my L461 which according to its serial number was built in 1964.
😂🤣😂🥲😬 Sako did not assign serial numbers in chronological order. You've probably come across an old list of serial numbers which were compiled prior to the Club obtaining the factory records for pre-1973 Sakos. While it is certainly possible that your L461 was made in 1964 it is not possible to affirmatively say so from the serial number.

At one time sources listed the twist for Sako .222 Magnums at 1/12". This may or may not have been accurate. Sako twists are usually the near metric equivalent of standard inch-twists. I have never bothered to measure any of my Sako .222 Magnums as my knowledge of the exact twist rate could only effect bullet accuracy via shooter prejudice; and besides, they are gilt-edged accurate with most bullets of conventional weight and construction, therefore no need to know what the hypothetical twist might be.

I have measured a couple of Sako .244's, simply because that caliber had a reputation for slow twists (typically 1/12") failing to stabilize heavier/longer bullets. They measured (as best I could tell after a number of trials) about 1-11.25". Regardless of this knowledge, they stabilize 100 grain 6mm Rem factory Coreloct ammunition quite nicely.

I've also measured some very early L46's in .222 (first and second year of production) which appear to have simply used Hornet barrels with a 1/16" twist. Never having had the need to shoot anything heavier/longer than a cup-and-core 55 spitzer in such barrels, I'm not sure how much heavier/longer a bullet they might stabilize. It's a quite academic issue, anyway.

Latest posts

Back