Short Actions L461 Vixen broken stock!

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by gregg877, Nov 27, 2021.

1. gregg877

gregg877 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    3F8BFCFF-9E11-4286-B332-41A854823D07.jpeg AEE41D7C-304B-4FE6-BB66-04C1A7F19A9B.jpeg AEE41D7C-304B-4FE6-BB66-04C1A7F19A9B.jpeg Good afternoon,

I was re-arranging the safe the other day and my Vixen fell out and hit the floor just right. The butt split right along the wrist in line with the trigger guard. I had pondered glueing it back together, but a decent repair of this type is out of my skill level.

The best I’ve been able to determine is the rifle is of late 60’s /early 70’s vintage. I’ve tried finding a replacement factory stock, and no dice, so options are to mail it off (was thinking Lee Shaver gunsmithing) or have a new stock made. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gregg

2. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    So unfortunate, however, perhaps repairable if you’re willing. A clean un splintered break such as yours is a potential candidate. A good and experienced person of talent can perhaps perform the work without any reservation. More photos would be beneficial for observation. A light kicking vixen caliber is not a safety factor in my observation. It really boils down to how bad is the break, more photos if you have time. Thanks

marlin92 likes this.
  3. tilleyman

tilleyman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Oh no!
    Agree original L461 Varmint stocks are hard to come by and expensive even if you can find one!
    I think its worth repairing via a stockmaker... or at least trying yourself.

Larry Potterfield of Midway had a video on reinforcing the wrist with threaded rod epoxied in place, the video showed a similar failure mode.

So maybe a similar fix of a threaded rod epoxied in place but also under suitable clamps to hold it all together?

Though epoxy isn't really the best wood-to-wood glue... I've had excellent results with Titebond Ultimate III Waterproof Interior Exterior glue.
    https://titebond.com.au/products/titebond-iii/

bigcountry4me likes this.
  4. bigcountry4me

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Agree 100%. Properly clamping, along with a rod (threaded or a brass dowel) and a high quality professional glue, then followed by finish is potential doable. The dowel may actually be undetectable if properly executed.

5. tilleyman

tilleyman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    bigcountry4me likes this.
  6. bigcountry4me

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Very good and informative. Have utilized dust for many repairs. It’s literally magical if properly used. I once did a repair on a highly figured Kimber Super America which was similarly broken as shown. I’ve had success with others as well The results were undetectable unless you were aware of where the actual break took place. Thanks

tilleyman likes this.
  7. gregg877

gregg877 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Wow! Thank you for the responses and info. Might be not so bad after all, I’ll post pictures as requested in the AM.