Sako L57 243 butt pad

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Derek Teschler, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Derek Teschler

Derek Teschler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    What options do people recommend to replace an old l57 deluxe stock butt pad that is hard and crushed?

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
  3. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    A Sako reproduction pad from Custom Shop inc.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The Pachmayr pad is made of superior materials, the hard plastic plate portion that fits next to the wood is flat & they install nicely. The Custom Shop repros are of poor quality, the plastic plate is flexible, not flat, fits poorly & they require gluing on, as well as the screws, to eliminate gaps where the pad meets the wood. The Custom Shop pads felt like they were starting to get crumbly, already, when I ground them to fit. Pachmayr is less than $50 shipped. Custom Shop is $150 shipped. After working with both I would never put a Custom Shop on one of my rifles, but a lot of customers seem to think those four little letters on the back of the pad are important & are willing to pay $100 more to get an inferior pad. Even after I tell them!!!! To each his own!

5. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Good info, sounds like you’ve fitted a few.
    I have a Custom Shop pad here and it appears to be good quality.

6. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I simply refuse to pay the Gunfather's black market price. His listing on fleebay will say "only four left" and two months later will say "only six left". I could use a set of his scope mount screws but he is gouging you for the price on them to.

7. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The supply is endless. He has an injection molding company making them as needed. I'm sure he has sold enough to pay for the initial mold and set-up costs long ago. It's all gravy to him now because of those "four little letters". Sometimes "collectors" are their own worst enemy.

8. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Put it up against a Pachmayr, Limbsaver, or Kick-eze & you may change your opinion about it's quality.

9. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi Paulsonconstruction.
    Just read your older post on replacement butt pads. As luck would have it I ordered a Pachmayr pad from Midway USA before I read your post. and i'm glad to see you recommend them. As a shotgun shooter @ Forest City Gun club (41 years) used limbsavers and Pachmayer on our model 12 Win. Your posts on the site give much appreciated good advice. Many thanks.

bucktote in Sav. GA

10. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Thanks, Tony. The Pachmayr's look just like the original Sako pads except for the "four little letters", but from a recoil absorbing standpoint the Limbsaver is on top of the heap! Almost all the trap & skeet shooters that replace their pad go with the Limbsaver in my neck of the woods.

11. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi Paulson,
    At the F.C.G.C. we shoot a game we call "Scratch", shoot trap targets from the Skeet stations. a team of two shooters. If one of the team breaks the random target the team can move to the next station. Long shots, heavy loads ,much recoil, It gets interesting!!

My 30/06 Sako is still at the gunsmith's, he lost his counter help and is behind in his work, Bummer I was hoping to zero the Forester & the newly restocked Sako at the same time as it allows barrel cooling between shots.
    {Patience sadly is not my long suit!!) My sons Finbear is a very accurate rifle. It's able to shoot well with heavy and light projectiles with little differance on the paper. Keep well & I look foward to more reading & Sako
    information on the site.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  12. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi again Sako fans,
    I am wanting to install a new recoil pad on my Forester .243 .
    Is there any special things I should know before starting. The present pad looks original ( Sako) and the rifle is 60 years + old, don't want to spoil a beautiful rifle ? Top rifle = Sako .243, bottom
    rifle = Interarms .243

Attached Files:

13. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Older Sako pads are typically both screwed and glued on. First, you'll need to remove the screws by locating the (almost invisible) mounting holes through the rubber and inserting a screw driver bit of the proper size -- they are conventional slot heads as I recall. Next I'd advise simply sawing the old pad off at the wood line with something like a band saw or other saw with which you can make a square and precise cut to separate the wood from the plastic of the pad.

I've done a couple of these which turned out decent, but there are some more highly skilled and experienced woodworkers on this board who can provide more useful information than I might have.

14. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Those old waffle pads from those days got crumbly & hard. It's not unusual for them to be replaced. Pachmayr makes one that looks the same. You will probably have to just tear the waffle part off to expose the screw heads. It will break off in chunks. Like Stonecreek said they are both screwed & glued on & most of the time I've had to use vise grips to get the screws out. Then I use a table saw with a very fine toothed blade & saw at the wood plastic joint. Screw the new pad on & scribe the stock outline on it. Remove & place the pad in a recoil pad jig that is set for the toe angle you need & grind with a stationary belt sander with a 90 degree table. If you have never done it before & don't have the jig, proper tooling & experience, I highly recommend you have it professionally installed. Good luck!

15. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That's the right way to do it. However, if you don't have a jig and you are capable of being very careful, you can mount the oversized pad on the stock, wrap the butt of the stock adjacent to the pad in several layers of masking tape, then use the stock itself as the "jig" while sanding the pad down to fit. I use one color of masking tape as the first layer and another color as the second layer so that I can quickly see when I have cut through the upper layer and adjust the aggressiveness of my sanding accordingly. It's really easy to get into the finish of the wood if you don't work carefully, so if you have any doubts do as Paulson says and take it to a professional (one of which is increasingly difficult to find.)

16. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thank you Mr. Paulson & Stonecreek,
    As alway your council & advice is greatly appreciated. My Forester being very accurate, I am some what conceerned about removing the action from the stock. The scope & barrel are locked together via the mount & rings, but I wonder if the removal of the stock will alter the current P.O.I. I have replaced recoil pads in several shotguns & rifles in the past , but never encountered one that had both screws & glued connections. I think I will make a jig using 2 x 8 pine & cut it to the angle of the Forester butt stock & use it to grind the angle. I already have a new replacement pad as described in a previous thread with Mr. Paulson. My AV Sako is at the gunsmiths since Jan.28, I get no answer from him when I call and will not bring him any more work. We need a competant Gunsmith in Savannah. I will get my AV back today when I go to the gun shop. In the past I stored my long guns horizontally displayed in my gun cabinet with no damage to the recoil pads, but since an attempted breakin they are now in a secured gun safe.

17. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Taking the barreled action from the stock should be at least an annual maintenance routine on any rifle that sees the outdoors. Inspect for rust, dirt, debris, then lightly oil. Properly tighten the action screws & POI should remain the same. I routinely take barreled actions out of their stocks for normal cleaning to avoid any damage to the stock's finish, as some of the nicer hand rubbed oils are not resistant to certain modern bore cleaning solvents. Not sure how a piece of pine can be made into a proper pad jig. You might want to research some of the jigs available & study how they are adjusted for each rifle & how they are used. Stonecreek's method of taping the wood off will work, if you are really, really brave & careful. However, you will never get it completely flush. I can't afford to error on a customer's rifle, so I always use the jig. Power belt sanders can be very unforgiving! Grey Fox can probably help you. Did you talk to him about it? Good luck!

18. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thank you for the reply Mr. Paulson,
    I was thinking about tracing the Sako butt stock portion ( last 3-4") on to
    a 2 x 8 scrap pine & configure it to duplicate the Sako stock. thus avoid jepordizing the Sako stock ? Or if I make the trip to SC. to a pro gunsmith & have him do the AV 30/06 action bedding & the Forester recoil pad.

19. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi again Mr. Paulson & StoneCreek.
    Bit the bullet & took my Sakos to SC gunsmith saturday A.M. He finished the Forester recoil pad tues. & delivered it to me @ Forest City Gun Club this afternoon. Pics I will try to send. If I purchased the recoil pad jig I would have spent $55.00 + freight & taxes. I think I made the right choice. Pay a man that
    is proficient in his craft !! Sorry , can't seem to get pics from e-mail to photo files. I remain computer challanged!!

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  20. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Properly fitting a recoil pad requires tooling, skill & experience to do RIGHT! You made the right decision & are money ahead. There are two types of people that work on guns, gunsmiths & idiots. Some days I'm not sure which group I fall in!

Unclekax likes this.