• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L57 custom project

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Scot

Hi all, thought I would show my current project.

I was looking for a winter project at a recent gun show when I found a Sako action. I have never owned a Sako but it seemed like a workable start. The action looked complete with the trigger, magazine, and bottom metal.

I decided to build a .22-250 with a moderate weight barrel and a walnut stock.

I purchased a semi inlet stock blank from Macon Gunstocks and a barrel blank from Douglas Barrels.

IMG_1618.JPG IMG_1613.JPG

Upon closer examination I found the magazine box had been ground down. I inlet the action and the bottom metal to the stock. A measurement could then be made between the two. 0.2 inches was added to the magazine box. you can see the repair in the above post.
IMG_1615.JPG IMG_1616.JPG

I found a drawing for a L57 barrel stub in Frank De Haas book Bolt Action Rifles. I took measurements from my action and created some drawings to work to.

IMG_1627.JPG IMG_1623.JPG

The barrel is a Douglas Barrels .22 CF, 1:12 twist, #4 heavy sporter in chrome moly. I have it set up in the lathe ready to start cutting. I know the chambering of rifle barrels is one of the most opinionated subjects around. Suffice to say, this is how I do it. It works for me. Your results may vary.

IMG_1606.JPG IMG_1608.JPG IMG_1607.JPG

Gee Scot, I'm sure glad you're not asking for advice, here.. I think you may have it under control.

The odd barrel threads of the L57 throw some gunsmiths for a loop. Like misako says, looks like you've got it under control.

Metric threads are a bit of a challenge for me. My lathe is a South Bend 13" and cuts inch threads. I bought a metric transposing gear on Ebay. It is a 3D printed gear and is not a perfect ratio, but the ideal metal gears are much more costly. It is not a perfect system but it works. For this barrel a 1.5mm thread pitch is needed. With my gearing I can get a 1.467mm thread pitch.

I am strictly an amateur, so I make do with what I have. The rifles I build are for me. If I was doing this work for someone else I would have a metric lathe.

Nice work. Does anyone know if a L579 in 243 can be rebored to 7 08?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work. Does anyone know if a L579 in 243 can be rebored to 7 08?
That would be a qualified "yes". Some reboring companies claim to have had difficulties with Sako barrels due to their being "too hard". Others say "hogwash", that the naysayers are just making excuses for some instances of poorly executed work.

There are several members on here who have had reboring done to their Sako barrels, so maybe they will spot this question and respond with actual experience.

Great project Scot. Exactly what I'd love to with with a spare L57 action I have on hand. Looking forward to seeing your finished result.

I have the barrel channel carved out. The barrel is fully floated. I also epoxy bedded the action into the stock. IMG_1667.JPG IMG_1668.JPG

I really like that pad!
I really like this whole thing!
Great looking shadow line cheek piece too!
Progress is at an amazing rate , can’t wait for rest!
Keep Gittin’ er!
Bloo

Thank you for the encouragement! It's been cold and icy here, so I have been spending a lot of time indoors. I hope to have the rifle finished before gardening and lawn mowing season arrives.

Great work, supposed to be mid 50' tomorrow in central IL then 6-8 of snow thurs. and -1 by Fri. Keep up the indoor work. Don't hurry. LOL.....

Back