L579 action

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by BruceHB, Dec 29, 2020.

1. BruceHB

BruceHB Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I'm in the process of restoring my father's L579 which had a 24" Shilen barrel in 243 Ackley Improved, was glass bedded in Devcon and a Canjar two stage trigger. I had Blue Mountain Precision rebarrel the rifle with a 26" Hawk Hill match barrel with a 1 in 7.5 twist rate in 6mm Creedmoor. An APA Little Bastard muzzle brake was installed and due to the custom heavy contour of the barrel, the stock was widen again to facilitate a free floating barrel.

Blue Mountain Precision measured the action and perhaps my father had it trued or blue printed when he put the Shilen barrel on, but Blue Mountain said the action was straight and did not need truing.

The rifle now weights close to ten pounds without the scope and I'm thinking I should consider a modern stock from Manners such as their PRS-TCS (Tunable Competition Stock) which offers feathers not found on traditional wood stocks.

My question is will the L579 Action fit in stocks made for Remington 700 or their clones? I realize there is or may be minor bedding or fitting required.

Bruce

Attached Files:

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Not even close. The Rem 700 is a round action (basically, just a piece of pipe). It bears no resemblance to the flat-bottomed Sako L579.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Substitute "major" for minor!! Double the price of the stock for the "fitting" required. You may want to inquire on one of the "long range target rifle" sites for current stock options as the focus here is on "collecting" original Sakos.

4. RangerAV

RangerAV Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maryland
    Bruce, McMillan makes stocks for some of the SAKO rifles. You can sorta select profile -- Monte Carlo or Classic -- and then each comes with it's own attributes. You can also select "fill" -- to vary the overall stiffness and weight.

I had a McMillan SAKO Classic on an AV... and in general, I liked the stock well enough. Mine was fairly heavy, at least compared to the lightweight "Edge" filling available today. Would have preferred the Classic comb style AND the palm swell from the Hunter style... but those two features don't come together.

Anyway, just offering an option. I dunno who else makes stocks specifically for SAKO rifles, but i wouldn't be surprised to learn there are several.

-Chris

5. BruceHB

BruceHB Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thanks guys, I think for the time being I'll keep the original Sako stock with is glass bedded and free floating already. Ordering stocks for modern aftermarket actions was simple, I had hoped it would be for my father's vintage L579.