1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

L579 Bedding

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by David Murdoch, Aug 15, 2022.

1. David Murdoch

David Murdoch Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hi All

I have just ordered a laminate stock for a sako L579 i will need to finish the stock, my questions is do i install pillars when i bed and where should i tape for clearance on the action? i haventfound much info on bedding a L579 action thanks for any input

I have bedded rem 700s and Howas never a L579

2. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    In my humble opinion, don't waste the effort. I have always had better results with Sako rifles of many calibers by assuring the actions are tightened firmly and the barrel is free floating for cooling clearance. Others will have various opinions. Generally speaking, Remchester experts and Bubbas will give exotic reasoning for various forms of bedding which will reduce the value of any collectible Sako. By the way, if the stock and the rifle are in collectible condition, take care to keep the stock for a future return of your rifles value by installing it to original condition. Sakojim.

3. David Murdoch

David Murdoch Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    I have the barrelled action its a very good conditioned action with a stainless varmint barrel screwed on and no stock i have ordered a laminate stock from a stock maker, so the rifle will never be factory or collectable just trying to end up with a good shooting rifle.

4. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    David-Your rifle can be bedded with or without pillars. You will know much more when you have all the pieces of the puzzle at hand. Generally ( and I mean just that) a few inches ahead of the front action screw should do the trick.

5. David Murdoch

David Murdoch Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks

Will have a look when i have it all,at this stage im thinking No pillars tape the square sides to behind the tang and front of the recoil lug.

6. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    David- I would seal the interior of your stock with a thinned varnish (about 1 pt varnish to 5 pts thinner. Put on about 3 good coats. Then proceed with your bedding project. If you have never successfully bedded a rifle before, a trip to a stock man may be in order. Bedding mishaps are a real PIA.

7. David Murdoch

David Murdoch Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    I will be bedding the l579 in the next week or so my only question is clearance and where should i tape?

I was thinking the vertical sides behind the tang front of the recoil lug and 2 inches up the barrel. How does this sound more or less and what about under the recoil lug?

Any input would be great.

8. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Since the front action screw is actually through the recoil lug..........that would be a NO!!

9. David Murdoch

David Murdoch Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks
    I have bedded a few howas and never had clearance under the recoil lug (similar setup) tape/clearance on the vertical sides makes sense

10. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Only the rear surface on a recoil lug, on any rifle, should have contact with the bedding/inletting. Contact on the sides, front & especially the bottom can cause problems.

icebear and sakojim like this.
  11. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Thanks, I didn't know that. Not that I'm likely to do a bedding job any time soon, but it's handy to know when trying to diagnose an accuracy problem.

12. kevinlg

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Clearance under the recoil lug will cause action flex.......and barrel flex (if the barrel chamber area forward of the recoil lug is bedded)............when the front action screw is tightened.

A properly placed dial indicator will reveal much.

(BTW.......bedding a Rem 700 is a different animal.)

Think about it........

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  13. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Only if the action is not bedded properly.

14. kevinlg

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    When the action screw pulls down, THROUGH THE LUG, there will be flex if there is "space/clearance" under the Sako recoil lug.

As said earlier, a dial indicator will reveal the facts.

15. David Murdoch

David Murdoch Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks for the replies.

Still unsure if i need clearance under the recoil lug, i understand it from both points just dont want to bed it twice i will have clearance on the vertical sides of the action, side and front of the recoil lug and the rear of the action.

16. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Dial indicators don't shoot bullets, rifles do. Everybody gets different results & has different opinions.

17. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Gentlemen,
    I have finished two AV 30/06 stocks. It is my understanding that the recoil lug fortifies the area that is a weak spot because of the absence of wood in the magazine, bottom plate area & thus prevents stock splitting & somewhat mitigates recoil. Mr. Paulson will please correct me if this is not the case. I have eliminated the recoil (lug, bolt) by placing all thread in the hole drilled in the stock, wooden capping one end, filling the annular area with epoxy & wood capping the side I poured the epoxy from. Then sanding the wooden caps to shape of the stock. This provided a solid, reinforced area around the magazine void & it has worked for me. I hope this helps and that system is how some other rifle makers eliminate the steel bolt so I have been told. See wood cap left rifle, center stock hard to see cap as it blended with the forearm wood. Hope this helps!! B/T

Attached Files:

Spaher and paulsonconstruction like this.
  18. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Not sure if all the bedding/recoil lug stuff is correct or not or whether it matters as much as we think it does, but those stocks are absolutely gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing!

Bucktote likes this.
  19. kevinlg

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Really??......As mine usually require a 9"twist to stabilize a 30gr projectile. :):)

Internal ballistics aside......we are still left with how to reconcile the fact that Sako has solidly bedded the bottom of its through-bolt lugged actions, such as the L and A series. In some rifles a metal spacer/shim is even added, by the factory, to the bottom of the recoil lug. I seriously doubt that the factory would intentionally raise the receiver bottom flat, off of its wood base.

20. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thanks Mr. Paulson!
    My 30/06 shoots better than I can hold it.
    B/T