1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

L579 Firing Pin Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by Outlaw6.0, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Morning Folks!

Long story short, I have a very nice L579 in .243 that is missing the firing pin... no idea why... Obviously they are unobtanium, or at least i've failed miserably to locate one.

Are there any other Sako models that will cross over. I.e. L57 etc ?

t

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The L57 will not interchange. The AII will.

3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hawkeye........

I would agree, but I've never had the back end of an AII, or AI, firing pin assembly apart.
    If you have, I'd appreciate knowing how it came apart.

Thanks

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The only thing Sako change from the L579 to the AII was the bolt shroud. At least that's what I've seen. If you have evidence to the contrary please present it. I would very much be interested. Never say never with Sako!

5. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    It doesn't. The shroud is crimped on.

misako50 likes this.
  6. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Thank you all for the input! I'll start scrounging for an AII pin as well.

Please, feel free to keep the discussion rolling.

t

7. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Gentlemen,
    Would not a L579 in 308 have the same firing pin? Isn't the bolt the same in the 22-250 as well?? and don't we have a member in Australia that is capable of making one?? Just asking ?? & trying to help.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    Outlaw6.0 and misako50 like this.
  8. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Outlaw6 I have a used L579 firing pin (not a firing pin assembly) that might work for you. I will send you a personal message and you can contact me if you still have a need for this part.

marlin92 likes this.
  9. gunner620

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Outlaw6 I have a used L579 firing pin (not a firing pin assembly) that might work for you. I will send you a personal message and you can contact me if you still have a need for this part.

misako50 likes this.
  10. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming

Gunner, I tried calling but missed you. I left a message with my PH#. I do need it.

t

11. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Hey all, I just wanted to give a huge shout out to gunner620. He hooked me up with a firing pin that i've been looking for for months. gunner is a super nice guy who took the time to face time me & show me a few tricks.

Thank you SIR!

t

misako50 and Unclekax like this.
  12. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    You are correct!!
    A most generous & Sako savvy friend in deed. Like many of the folks on this site, THE BEST!!

Outlaw6.0 and misako50 like this.
  13. gunner620

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Tyler sorry I missed your call, as I said the lawn mower was needing me at the time. Will get the firing pin in the mail tomorrow, hope it fits your need and if it doesn't send it back. Enjoyed talking with you . By the way the lawn mower is working ! Jim

misako50 likes this.
  14. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Great to hear Jim! Sure makes lawn mowing easier lol

Little back story on this rifle. It was actually given to an uncle of mine who is more like a 2nd dad than an uncle. Not being particularly good at sourcing parts (or using the internet at all), he gave it to me as something to play with to see if I could get it running. At the time, neither one of us knew what these rifles were worth (nor did we care). At this point, neither one of us had a dime invested.

After finding out that they are indeed a very high quality & valuable rifle, it was full steam ahead. I was able to source the shroud, cocking piece & firing pin retaining screw from a small shop in Montana that deals in vintage Sako parts; really nice folks BTW. I was able to source a firing pin spring from Wolff... unfortunately, as you all know, I couldn't find a firing pin anywhere.

The more I think about this project, I think a plan has hatched. I'm going to get it running smoothly, develop a good load for it and give it back to my uncle. He's done a lot for me over these years & I think it will mean a lot to both of us.

Thank you all for the help, tutelage & encouragement.

t

Bucktote likes this.
  15. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Well all, after about two months of searching I was able to procure all of the parts to build a complete firing pin assembly for this old workhorse. gunner620 was kind enough to FaceTime me several times to offer insight & guidance as I assembled everything & was able to set firing pin protrusion properly.

I haven't test fired yet but, I am certainly looking forward to it.

t

clovis and Bucktote like this.
  16. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hats off to you and your efforts! Please post photos of the finished project maybe handing it to your Uncle. Good Karma to ya!

Outlaw6.0 likes this.