1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

L579 forester varmint

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by bumppo, Jul 1, 2022.

1. bumppo

bumppo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    recently acquired this L579 forester varmint in .243 win. with beavertail forend, serial no. 13870.
    comments welcome.

Attached Files:

sakofan, icebear, Rocky and 4 others like this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Very nice! I don't recall seeing a L579 with a stock that color, usually they are dark & ugly. Yours is very pleasing to the eye. Front sight, Bofors barrel & multi-groove rifling would put it fairly early in L579 production. Did you request a Factory Records Search?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  3. bumppo

bumppo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I'll post the factory records search results when I receive them.
    could the stock be maple?
    the format of the serial number on the receiver seems unusual.

Attached Files:

4. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi Mr. bumppo,
    Your rifle looks new except for the butt plate, Beautiful. I have a Sako .243 & it shoots better than I can hold it. You are a lucky man I know you will enjoy shooting it. I have had good results with Nosler Bal. Tips (95 Gr.) with IMR 4350 powder and hope you find a loading that you like!! All the best!! B/T

Attached Files:

5. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Very cool !
    You have one of the few early “Flat-bolt” Foresters. Your rifles cocking piece may also show liniar grooves on the top…as opposed to the cross-hatch milling seen on later models. These are some of the first L 579’s produced!
    Sweet rifle, the blonde stock is walnut without the dark, muddy stain used on most Sako rifles up to the 1970’s…I’ll guess yours is from ‘59-60

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  6. bumppo

bumppo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    this new acquisition sako with the light coloured stock is my second forester in .243.
    the first one was made probably about 6 years later (serial number 61xxx). it isn't a varmint heavy barrel and it's relatively banged up, but it shoots fine (photo).
    I haven't fired this new one yet as it just arrived yesterday so I'll wait for the vintage gloss sako 26 mm rings I ordered for it a week ago from Custom Shop, Inc. in Montana.

Attached Files:

Bucktote likes this.
  7. bumppo

bumppo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    the cocking piece has crosshatch milling on top.

Attached Files:

Old Hippie likes this.
  8. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Great shooting!! your target shows your skills & the rifles accuracy & quality. The pic. with my Forester & deer, is a hunt with my oldest son & his Sako 06,
    (he killed all the deer) a management hunt on our farm. We have too many does, several groups of 6-8 & their fawns. Our neighbors shoot only bucks, any age class even buttons??? such is life!!

9. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Bumppo
    Be on the watch for contact between the bolt and the scopes ocular bell. The flat bolt is rather short and tighter in comparison to the later improved bolt design (lengthened considerably to eliminate contact). Medium and high rings will help somewhat with your 26mm choices

Bucktote likes this.
  10. bumppo

bumppo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    factory records search results:

"Sako L579 serial number 13870 was inspected 20 July 1960 and is in caliber .243. It was booked for shipping to Firearms international in shipping lot 4995 on 15 Aug 1960 as one of 80 similar rifles in that shipment."

sakofan likes this.