L579 Stocks from Sarco

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by icebear, Jan 12, 2021.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The Sarco ad in the latest issue of Firearms News shows a "Browning Safari" stock for the L579. In reality, it seems to be a semi-finished blank styled after the Browning, complete with Monte Carlo cheekpiece, Browning buttplate, contrasting forend tip, and pistol grip cap. Wood is claimed to be "fancy European hardwood" and the picture in the ad does show a very nice piece of wood. Supposedly drop-in inletted (maybe) and ready for final sanding and finish. No checkering. Price is only $79.95 so if you need an L579 stock and have some woodworking skills (or know a good gunsmith with reasonable rates), it might be worth taking a flyer. There's also a plebian version without the forend tip and grip cap for $60.00.

I'd order one myself in a New York minute, but I don't have an extra L579 barreled action to put it on. My only extra L579 action is sitting in a gorgeous Fajen blank awaiting final shaping, checkering, and finishing.

Here's a link: https://www.sarcoinc.com/browning-safari-rifle-stock/

2. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hey Icebear,
    I have a lovely L579 HB stock which came off a .308 Win. HB which came out of production in 1970. Great colour and some figuring. The stock has been re - chequered at 24 lines to the inch by a John Rigby stocker, to a very profestional standard. Orange Silvers rubber butt pad with steel grip cap.
    I would swap for a L461 " Deluxe " stock!
    Blackjack

3. FinnHunter87

FinnHunter87 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I have a Browning Safari/Sako L579 action that could use a new stock. My rifle has what was called the "Pencil Barrel". Does it look like yours has had the barrel channel fully inletted or is there enough wood to fit a low profile barrel like mine? Thanks!

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    You'll have to take a look at the photos on the Sarco website and draw your own conclusions. I have not seen the actual stock; I just saw the ad and posted it in case anyone was interested. You could also try e-mailing Sarco for more information, but that might or might not work as their office is not adjacent to the warehouse.

5. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Great Price