Sako L691 Battue

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Chris B, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Chris B

Chris B Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alabama
    I just picked up a L691 Battue in 7mm Magnum. It is hard to find information on this rifle because apparently they were imported a lot into the US. Does anyone have an info on this rifle? The apparently were only imported in 92’ and 93’. Any information is greatly appreciated. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    "Battue" is French for "beaten", which refers to drives by beaters for game such as wild boar. The model features a short barrel for quick action, such as at running game or in close quarters like heavily wooded land. It was a short-lived model, like the others of the "91" series. Other than the barrel and the ramp sight it was pretty much identical to a standard Sako with a full-length barrel.

I don't keep up very closely with Sako's currently-produced rifles, but I think they now make a similar short-barreled rifle, just not under the name "Battue".

3. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    FYI, Tikka is currently building the Battue in a T3 version. Similar barrel length and sight system. Haven’t seen an 85 version.

4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alabama
    Do you know how many of these older ones made it to the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No idea. The Club has no records past the L-series, and then only up until about 1972.

6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Sako used to make a "Handy Carbine," which was more or less the same gun as the Battue except that it lacked the elevated rib. I'm not familiar with the current product line, so I don't know if they are still making such a rifle or not.

7. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    I think that the closest Model 85 now might be the Bavarian Carbine--a very nicely turned-out full stock model. It is available in many chamberings and has a 20-inch barrel, but lacks the raised quarter-rib. Its barrel length and overall length are identical to those of the Tikka T3x Battue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021