1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

Short Actions Long extractor?

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by wombat, Jun 28, 2022.

1. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hello Members,
    I was not able to find an answer for this on a search, but I’m sure I have read it somewhere??
    When did Sako stop producing the long extractor on the L461 action?
    Thanks, Jay

2. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    From the rifles I’ve seen here in the states, the long extractor phased out with the L 46.
    The 461 bolt and it’s extractor were all all similar to the L 579 and L61r design in my opinion.
    BUT…I’ve noticed over time that Sako shipped rifles to Australia that bore parts that are different in dimension and appearance! One example would be the shorter cocking piece on L579’s
    Are there any photos you can supply to show this long extractor/ L461 configuration?
    Bloo

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hip........

I've many of the old L461 actions with the long extractor.
    Just a guess........but I'm thinking that the conversion to the short extractor happened at about the same time the S-type floorplate release was converted to pushbutton.

Maybe this helps??

Old Hippie likes this.
  4. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Cool Kev!
    I’d love to see a comparison photo..if you could work one up.

5. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hip........

After all the effort I have spent assembling Conetrol mounts and rings.............it seems, as I've been told, there's little time left for eating/sleeping.

But........I'll see what I can scrounge together.........with what little time.......years......I have left.

sraaw and Old Hippie like this.
  6. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hippie likewise both my l461s have long extractors.

7. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    All I have left are 46’s … are the extractors similar?

8. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I believe the L46 and early L461s both used the long 1.5" extractors. I'm out of town but when get back home I will post dome photoz of a spare one I have

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Here's a photo of the earlier "long" L461 extractor beside the later "short" extractor. The short one happens to be from an A-I, but it is the same as the late L461's. The "short" extractor is essentially the same design as used on the L57/L579/L61R, etc.

IMG_0644 (800x454).jpg

Old Hippie likes this.
  10. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Thanks for posting the photo - now I know what we are talking about. The change to the short extractor must have been very late in the production run; all four of my L461's have the long extractors.

11. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks Stone

12. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have 2 Sako L461 with the long extractor that were inspected in 1968. One is a 223 serial number 785xx inspected on 8/16/68. The second is a 222 serial number 1021xx inspected on 12/18/68. Both rifles are Bofors marked and have the S-Type floorplate release. The balance of my 461's are pre 1968 rifles and they have long extractors.

13. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Here are some pictures of the Long Extractor out of the bolt

Attached Files:

Old Hippie likes this.