1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

Short Actions Long extractor?

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by wombat, Jun 28, 2022.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    New guys are always welcome, as are questions. We're happy to share what we know, or help figure out a solution to a problem.

Bill Suter likes this.

2. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'd still like to see a pic of the extractor.

I've never seen a "worn down" one before.

If not worn down or broken.....they can be "restored", if one is VERY careful.

Just some thoughts.........

3. Bill Suter

Bill Suter Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oklahoma
    I'm not 100% sure it worn down or been Bubba'ed. I tried removing it but I think I'm going to need a vice to hold the bolt. Its got me a little concerned as to whether a new one will fix my problem as it looks as though the top has been ground off almost flush with the top of the lugs. I'll know more when I get the new one installed. Right now I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling in my gut that a new extractor is going to solve my issues. For some reason my rear end on the side I carry my wallet is throbbing.

4. Bill Suter

Bill Suter Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oklahoma
    I got my rifle fixed today. With the new extractor installed, the bolt would not close. My smith pulled the barrel and per his barrel thread manual, he took .040 off the chamber end of the barrel. I still have plenty of case in the chamber and zero head space and the bold will close on a round. It also extracts and ejects like it should. A big THANK YOU to all of you that helped me through this.

My rifle also has a Canjar trigger. Without removing the shoe it wouldn't come out of the stock. When we did get it out, someone had used plastic shims under the recoil lug so the barrel will float. I'm fixing that as we speak but we also opened up the trigger guard so the barreled action can be removed without taking the trigger apart. Lucky for all of us, the smith that Bubba'ed this rifle has drank himself out of business.

P04R and paulsonconstruction like this.
  5. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Thank you for giving us the conclusion! Too many help threads are left hanging where nobody knows if the issue was ever resolved. :(

Bill Suter and stonecreek like this.
  6. Bill Suter

Bill Suter Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oklahoma
    Just a little update, I got to shoot the rifle. I put 20 rounds through it and not a hick-up. (I did bed the action when I got it home the other day.) I actually think it shoots better now than it did before.

stonecreek likes this.