Mannlicher Question-Deluxe Model?

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by ohiochuck, Feb 15, 2014.

1. ohiochuck

ohiochuck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Did Sako make the Mannlicher L 461 in .222 Remington in a Deluxe model?
    Thanks!
    Jim

2. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Jim,
    i have never seen a Sako deluxe Mannlicher in any model, only sporters.
    L-46

3. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Jim- I think Mims Reed had one done at the Sako factory and it was sold just a few years ago. I had the collection photos on my old computer and it was lost when the pc shot craps. I can't remember for sure but I think it was a L579. Only one I have seen or read about.-Misako

4. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Thought you had one Misako, the one with the duct tape fore end tip ?

5. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've never seen or heard of a deluxe L461 mannlicher. But I have seen 2 L579 deluxe mannlicher. Also there is an ad in the old SCA newsletter listing factory new mannlicher deluxe stocks for L579 actions.

6. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    That one actually had electricians tape but it was fun putting it up. I lost the pictures of it and the archives don't go back that far. Good memory.-Mike

Douglas two-would you tell me what year and month the ad was in the newsletter. Thanks, Mike

7. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Mike, look at Jim Lutes sale ad on the top right side of page 8 newsletter #10 for February 1984, also look at left hand side of page 7 of number 16 newsletter dated February 1985. And Rock Island auction sold some deluxe mannlichers in the mid 90's.

8. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Thanks , Douglas 2- When I get some time tonight or tomorrow I will try to find those. I am running a scan on my computer right now so if I want that to finish I need to leave my fun behind for a bit. -Mike

9. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Glad to help Mike. The irony of collecting rare bird Sako's is what is rare and hard to locate for some, is not too hard for others. I've had the chance to purchase deluxe mannlichers, deluxe sporters in 7x33, and some rare hornets and 218's.....but I've never had a chance to purchase or heard of or seen a bofors marked Deluxe Sporter in 375, I've seen plenty of 375 deluxe and standard sporters that are non-bofors marked, and I've seen a couple of 375 bofors marked standard sporters, but nary a deluxe bofors marked 375 have I ever come across.

10. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    That makes two of us on the .375s, D2 !! I've got a couple of standard sporters in .375. One is Bofors with 4 digit number and the other one is from 1970 or so.

DeerGoose

11. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    DG, you have two hard to get standard sporters. I have a very nice 375 deluxe sporter, 44xxx serial number with an FI import mark, but not marked bofors. I got it very early in my collecting and did not realize for a few years how lucky I was to purchase it. I know now.

12. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Douglas- I found the statements on the newsletters. I have probably read those two times but it didn't "stick". I find myself overlooking the "wants and for sales" because my feelings get hurt looking at the prices. It seems like all of us have a favorite "wanted holy grail". Mine is the unseen Finnwolf Deluxe. I can't get up the nerve to try and "manufacture" one for April fools day, this year. Thanks again for the memory upgrade.-Mike

13. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    D2, my later .375 is in the 50,000 range. No import markings !!! Three locking lugs, sling swivels, and all you'd expect from a pre-Garcia. Why did Sako do this to us ?? Drive me nuts sometimes !!

DeerGoose

14. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    What a great amount of information, I must admit i had forgotten about this rifle, so I had to dig up the sales book, from the RI sale, so i could see the rifle!
    Makes you wonder if they made any in L46 as well, considering when this rifle was being built, they were built with one piece stocks in L46 and L579.

If you read the description it is not totally flawless. It would be interesting to inspect the stock.
    There is no hang tag or box label to confirm the 'Factory' identity of the rifle.

L-46

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  15. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    L46-There's another one of those pads that didn't exist. (like runners' early L579) white spacer in the middle of the black base and the pad body. One of the ads that D2 talks about in the newsletter of 1985 (#16 page 7) has a different mannlicher deluxe. The other newsletter has an ad for just a deluxe mannlicher stock. More rifles are out there than just one , I believe.-Mike

16. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Yes ! Great topic here, guys. There are a few full-stock deluxe rifles out there, but they are extremely rare !!! Sako cool factor is off the charts. Sako pads with white spacers means early. I've got several rifles with the spacer, all original and in multiple configurations. I believe I have one Finnbear with the spacer and old school vented pad...what I call the real early pad. Yes, the medium and long action rifles produced countless variations ! Makes us all want to continue the search to see what's out there.

DeerGoose

17. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    L46

Are you a factory only disciple? Anyone out there . . . that has one of these deluxe mannlichers. I have $7000.00 waiting to find a new home.

18. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    I will do my absolute best to aid your search. rick but can not guarantee I will part with it once in my hands they have extreme SAKO SPUNK.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  19. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    not really but it is nice to know that what you are buying is not a rework?
    Just saying, that it would be nice to have 100% confirmation about a particular variant.
    I remember when the RI auction was on, and my good friend looked closely at bidding on that particular mannlicher deluxe, but decided against it as it was 'too rare' a piece.
    Any how he ended up with two very nice rifles.
    L-46

20. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The deluxe mannlicher and a lot of the other rare rifles at the auction did not sell. I guess they didn't reach the reserve.