Misaligned scope mount dovetails on new Sako 85 Finnlights

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by David_S, Oct 14, 2013.

1. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    In a word.... Beretta! They took control of Sako on Dec. 31 1999. I personally won't own any Sako products made after that date. I've heard of no issues with any model up thru the 75, so why bother with an 85 that could prove troublesome.

2. David_S

David_S Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other
    Mark, thanks for the update. It would be good if anyone else finding the same problem chipped in. Would let Beretta know the extent of the problem though I suspect they are well aware of it.

I also suspect that they are relying on the fact that that most hunters/shooters don't realise or care that it is not good for a scope to zero a rifle with the scope set at the extremity of its adjustment, and are consequently not aware of the problem if it exists. The problem only becomes obvious when mounting a scope with a dial-up turret as my Swarovski Z3 BT. And not everyone will be using the one-piece Sako Ringmounts so the number of actual complaints might be quite low.

I imagine Sako have corrected the machining problem or whatever and there are now just the leftovers of a faulty run. A lot cheaper therefore to just deal with complaints on an individual basis.

And as I remarked earlier there would have been no serious problem if Sako made a set of offset inserts for their Ringmounts much as Burris have done with their Signature rings. - David

3. Webphut

Webphut Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Too much input to read everyone's opinions on the fact.

Ok, so my opinion on how to properly check the height of the top of the integral dovetail would be as follows:

I would measure from the centerline of the bolt face to the top of the dove tail front and rear. Easier said than done, but the same thing was said about how do we check scope ring alignment before they made a tool to do just that. Depending just how far into the teardown of the rifle you are, you may only need a rod machined to slip fit a bore guide over and measure both ends and do the math.

So you insert the bore guide into th rifle, then slide machined rod or a cleaning rod if desired, and measure.

Most times with Sako, things usually have good facts to back up the reason for the results. If you use Sako optilocks, the spherical design is a built in solution to this exact issue, should not need any spacers. If you take two spherical bearings and slide then both over a rod and play with it for fun, you will instantly realize how stupid easy the concept behind Sako Optilocks is. With this simple idea, lapping scope rings should be a hindsight thing today, but that's another topic. I'm still trying to justify epoxying a scope onto a benchrest rifle. Optilocks are the cure to all mis alignmentissues scope and scopering related. If the angle is so great that it causes paralax issues, then address this with shim washers between base and rings.

If you shim between the scope and ring or between dovetail and base, this will preload the receiver over the entire length of the reciever.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  4. Webphut

Webphut Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    So I went through the OP and it looks like in the end, the last photo, you ended up shimming the way I mentioned to remove any possibility of adding preload to receiver .

Did you run your parallel along the base of the dove tail? The non grooved/smooth machined surface at the base of dovetail. I am asking because you show a difference of I think .007” from front gap to rear gap. This to me says the receiver is bent at center of action, but front half of receiver may be sprung down, under a load or bind.

The only way to really tell is to remove the stock, all the scope hardware, the trigger mechanism, everything to where it is just the barrel and action. Chuck it up by the barrel and center it using the bore of barrel at chamber end. Using last word indicator at front of receiver and then at back. This will tell you what the run out is. Plus/minus .005” is acceptable, but it may be out .050” over the whole length of the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. ger Hickey

ger Hickey Member

Country Flag:
    Ireland
    State/Region:
    other
    I know this is an old post but I have a similar problem if not the same on my new Sako 85 Carbon lite, after zeroing at 100 yards I only have 10 clicks of elevation left on the scope , the scope is a Swarovski Z8I and it has 70 clicks of elevation adjustment . I am using the Sako optilock rings and bases, is there any other way to rectify this problem other than shimming?

6. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Is this a new scope or used scope - if used scope did you reset it to factory optical center before sighting it in.

misako50 likes this.
  7. ger Hickey

ger Hickey Member

Country Flag:
    Ireland
    State/Region:
    other
    Marlin92, its a new scope just used once on another rifle and then fitted to the 85

8. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I would call that a used scope in that when first mounted on your other gun you would have made windage and elevation adjustments. Any time I move a scope from one gun to another I reset to factory zero, and then sight it in. You may want to try that if you are concerned with having only 10 clicks of elevation remaining. Short of shiming or using different mounts (depending how far off the barrel the objective lens is) only thing I know to try.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    misako50 and bigcountry4me like this.
  9. ger Hickey

ger Hickey Member

Country Flag:
    Ireland
    State/Region:
    other
    thanks marlin92 , i will try that this evening , i dont understand how this will help as i already have my 100 yard zero but it is worth a try

10. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    The front ring can be moved back and forth to gain windage. It is tedious, but it works.

ger Hickey likes this.
  11. Giovanni

Giovanni Member

Country Flag:
    Italy
    State/Region:
    other
    On July 7, 2020 I had a phone talk with the Beretta product manager and informed him about the misalignment issue on Sako rifles. He said he was totally unaware of it, so I later sent him an e-mail where I also provided a link to this forum and a link to a YouTube video that reports this same issue: Moreover, I attached some of the pictures posted by this forum users and asked the manager to inform the Sako engineering staff about the issue. I would like to buy a Sako 85 Varmint in .222 Remington, but this problem has kept me from getting one so far, as I wouldn't find one in a gun store and could't refuse to buy it after placing an order. Let's just hope that the Sako engineers have finally solved the problem in the meantime.
    Greetings from Italy.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022