My First Sako - L579 Forester 308

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by stephane Grenier, Apr 26, 2021.

1. stephane Grenier

stephane Grenier Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    Good morning all

So recently I had the opportunity to get myself a Sako L579 Forester in 308. The serial number indicates that it was manufactured in 1968.

The mechanics are in good condition but the stock is going to need some love. At the time of purchase, I knew the stock was damaged and that it had been repaired by the owner. I will try to have it repaired, but I am thinking of changing it .. try to find original stock if possible.

I know that one of the owners was Swedish because the sticker comes from the Swedish hunters association.

This Sako was imported to Canada by Trade Ex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

deergoose likes this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Dating a Sako from the serial number alone is difficult as Sako didn't make rifles in sequential order with the serial numbers. We have a Factory Records Service you can request the data on your rifle from if it falls within the range we have serial numbers for. These records show rifles with consecutive numbers being made years apart & rifles with serial numbers thousand apart being made on the same day. How did you come to the 1968 birthday?

3. stephane Grenier

stephane Grenier Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    I found this the info at the waffenlager.net and my serial # who is 78332 fit for the year 1968.. so i assume it's from 1968

4. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hello Stephane & Sako fans,
    There is a unfinished L579 stock for sale on e-bay look & see if it is what you want !!

5. stephane Grenier

stephane Grenier Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    thanks for the information, i will check that

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I love that "where to shoot" sticker on the stock. It was very forward-looking of them to also show the proper perspective (center of sticker) if you are shooting from a drone straight above the moose:oops:. Notably missing, however, is where one should shoot if lying on the ground underneath the moose as it passes over you.

Rogan Kinnear and douglastwo like this.
  7. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    As your serial number is within the range we have factory records on you could find out if your assumption of 1968 is correct. Like I said extrapolating a date from a serial number list is not always reliable with a Sako.

8. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hello again Stephane ,
    After looking at the pics.you provided. If the screws in the wrist of the stock can be
    removed, and the stock shows some flexability to be opened. You may have some luck with a two part epoxy. I have used Prime Resin's injection Resin on several wooden projects that turned out quite well. After getting the epoxy blend into the crack, clamp it tightly as you can without damaging the checkering, let it cure 7 days. this would eliminate the unsightly screws. I have made an epoxy wood from similar wood saw dust & epoxy. The epoxy wood is put into the screw holes and It can later be checkered to match the surrounding checkering as best as possible. The epoxy I used was gotten from Prime Resins @ Barton Southern in Conyers. GA. Another good epoxy is Sika LV (low Viscosity) These products were available years ago in small quantities, but I havn't purchased any in a long time. The epoxies I mentioned have high adhesive, flexual and shear strength qualities. The last I had were several year out of date but worked quite well. Both brands are clear or slightly amber in color. and have about 1/2 hour working time @ 70 degrees F.
    Best of luck

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  9. stephane Grenier

stephane Grenier Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec

a other indication that it was out of the factory before
    very good idea, I had the idea to have the repair done with ultra strong wood glue, but the option of epoxy glue is very interesting.

10. stephane Grenier

stephane Grenier Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    Do you know if Sako can give me the information if i ask them by e-mail ?

11. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Sako has no records & will likely not respond to your email. They just didn't care about or think that manufacturing records were of any import. Our club was very lucky to acquire the records we have. They are hand written & time consuming to go through as they are not in sequential order. The members that research the records are volunteers & the fee goes toward the cost to maintain our forum. Just click on Factory Records Service in the black bar at the top of this page to review what is available.

northernlights likes this.
  12. stephane Grenier

stephane Grenier Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    So a little update, i found a carpenter who specialize in rifle woodstock and he will be able to repair the rifle stock and i ask to add a 2 1/2 inc at the end of the stock to have a lop of 16 3/4- 17 inc

pictures will follow

13. stephane Grenier

stephane Grenier Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    So a little update, i went to the cabinetmaker, someone who specialize in rifle stock and he glued the cracks with epoxy and i ask him to add 2'' to the stock.

I like the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Looks Good,
    They say if you measure across your body outstreched arms ,finger tip to finger tip, it should be your hieght. I should be 6'-4" I'm not, but by adding 2" to your stock you should be!! Best of luck with your Forester.

15. stephane Grenier

stephane Grenier Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    thanks , well the next step is to fix the front sight. while i was trying to remove the elevation bar

[​IMG]

16. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Stephane, does your rifle have the “ Bofors Steel” stamping on the barrel? It will be on the right side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver. Below the rear sight block.
    Hippie

17. stephane Grenier

stephane Grenier Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    yes it's a bofors Steel Stamp

[​IMG]

18. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Stephane you talk about fixing the front sight but your red arrow in the picture points to the rear sight. Can you elaborate on the issue as someone here may be able to assist.

19. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    The Bofors Stamp began to disappear in the late 60’s but there could have been a few that slipped thru into early 70. Guns shipped to the US after the Gun control Act of 1969 had to have an importers marking , typically on the underside of the barrel just in front of the forearm. Firearms International and Garcia were the first in the US . I have no clue about Canada or their importers in that same period of time. My personal opinion is that you have a Forester from the late 60’s manufacturing period. It should be a fine shooting rifle! Congratulations on getting it repaired and ready to enjoy!

hippie

20. stephane Grenier

stephane Grenier Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    i take some pictures to show you the problem

this is the first picture taht i take when i get the rifle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2021