Short Actions Nah, Hornets are Never Accurite

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by stonecreek, Jul 8, 2021.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I bought one of the L46 Hornets from the recent North Dakota auction. I was mainly interested because it is a LH safety, which will add to my collection of LH safety L46. It isn't in just-out-of-the-box shape, but for a 70+ year-old rifle it is all-original and its condition would rate at least "nice" and nothing to be ashamed of. Shooting it was something of an afterthought, but I always like to try out even those Sakos that I acquired primarily as something to "own" rather than something to "shoot".

So, I put a little 2-7 Leupold Compact on it and took it down to the range, bore sighted it, fired a couple of shots at 50 yards to center it, then tried it at 100 yards. The ammunition was plain old factory Remington 45 grain HP. To say I was pleased with the group would be an understatement. I'm sure it was partially luck, but it tells me that these original L46's were built to shoot and built to shoot well! I didn't bother trying to measure the group, but the black square is one inch on the outside and everybody knows what size an American 25 cent piece is, so 'nough said.

I'll probably want to keep this little "Riihimaki", don't ya think?

DSC00775 (742x800).jpg

2. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Nice group! You didn’t cover up a flyer with that quarter did you???
    Ain’t it amazing! Old guns like that deserve to be enjoyed! My old hornet shoots as good, with no fuss over what factory ammo I shot. But with 40g sierra’s and 12 g’s of lil’ gun..one hole is commonplace!

It would be nice to see this little beauty you boast of Stone. How ‘bout it?

Hippie

3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yep........

No pics???.........didn't happen! :)

Old Hippie likes this.
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    So, I have to PROVE that it happened for Kevin? Alright, here goes.

Along with the L46 Hornet (top, with Leupold Compact) is another recent acquisition from the same era, a Sako-Mauser in 8x60. The best I can measure the bore it is the infamous "J" bore of .318" groove diameter, as opposed to the 8x60S with its more "modern" .323" groove. According to Sakos records they made both, albeit both were in rather small numbers.

The second photo is of the LH wing safety on the L46 Hornet with the turned-down end. Earlier ones had a turned-up end which crowded a mounted scope.

The other photos are of the markings on the Sako-Mauser. Incidentally, the receiver on the Mauser is NOT drilled and tapped for a scope mount. But since I have no idea where to find .318" bullets I guess whether I can't shoot it with a scope or can't shoot it with iron sights is rather academic.

DSC00776 (1024x337).jpg

DSC00777 (800x450).jpg

DSC00778 (800x332).jpg
    DSC00779 (800x663).jpg

Branxhunter, kevinlg and Old Hippie like this.