1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

New guy, new gun, any info appreciated.

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by BVee, Nov 29, 2022.

1. BVee

BVee Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Afternoon all,
    I recently was gifted a 25.06 A3 I believe. I assume the stock is aftermarket? Just looking for any insight you guys may have, or how to read the serial number for more info?

Attached Files:

ERP and deergoose like this.

2. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    It’s entirely possible someone utilized an original Deluxe stock as a canvas for what is pictured. More photos would help. The left side of the action would help determine actual model designation. Serial number would help “estimate” production era plus or minus a year or so. Also photos of the underside including the floor plate, trigger guard, grip cap and any other barrel markings. The recoil pad appears original but those are reproduced. Several more photos please.

misako50 likes this.
  3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stunning work, actually. Looks to be a deluxe stock.....completely re-carved and refinished.

Who did the stock work......and who's initials are those?

BTW......I'd lose the stock "wrap".......as they change the POI .

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  4. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Best guess on production is 78-79ish. Believe and agree with kevinig. Rifle appears to be a Deluxe. The floor plate, trigger guard and grip cap, are consistent. The added carving and inlays are interesting.

5. dustinga

dustinga Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Send a thank you card, for such a nice gift. Not my taste, but the person responsible for the stock work is extremely talented

misako50 and Bucktote like this.
  6. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Someone has or had serious skills, and confidence to attempt that on an oem stock!

7. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Amen. OEM stock that's been highly modified. I normally don't like custom jobs, but that one is exceptional! a keeper for sure.

congrats on a fine rifle!
    DeerGoose

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The work is similar to some done by Nils Hultgren, a Swedish immigrant, who did stocks for both O'brien and Winslow. Hultgren almost always identified his work by either carving a discrete "NH" somewhere in the panels, or sometimes inscribing a tiny "Hultgren" in the border. Check closely on all surfaces to see if either of these marks might be found.

deergoose likes this.
  9. BVee

BVee Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thank yall for all of the insight and kind words. It was traded to my dad years ago for some welding work, so little is known about its origin, I was just curious what I had. Again, appreciate it.