New Member From North Texas

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Jeff Wilson, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Weather cleared and I tried some other factory ammo. It appears that the Finnwolf likes the Fiocchi Extrema SST Polymer Tip 150gr. It chambered and extracted that ammo as smooth as silk. Definitely relieved that the rifle does work with that. It doesn’t seem to like heavier and/or hotter rounds. And definitely not the military 7.62 ammo.

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Headspace specs are different for the 7.62 and 308 and could definitely cause issues as you were seeing.

Jeff Wilson likes this.
  3. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Once I get my 308 Precision Mic I’ll work up some loads out of the bullets and powder I have on hand that she likes, since ammo is nonexistent these days. I’ll match the Fiocchi round dimensions and work up slowly on the powder loads to avoid too much pressure.

4. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Ammo not nonexistent but VERY expensive fortunately have a pretty good stock of most ammo I shoot, just lacking 22mag
    just bought some old stock 338 (33wcf) bullets and a set of dies for my 86 win. Used to think buying 348 win ammo was expensive but caliber doesn't seem to matter much any more.
    Dies are expensive also not to mention powder or bullets compared to what they were

5. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sooooo, closure on this “intro” thread. Took my Finnwolf to my local gunsmith and he polished the bore and throat. Chambered, fired, and ejected Federal and Hornady factory very smoothly. As luck would have it, it still didn’t like the Fiocchi. Based on the ejector swipe on fired brass we assumed it was generating more pressure than the rifle liked. So just watching my ammo choices and eventually custom reloading and I’m a happy Finnwolf guy. Thanks for all of the help and insights.