Sako New member, old Finnbear L61R 30-06

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Brian Frazier, Jul 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Brian Frazier

Brian Frazier Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Hello, new member here looking for information on a Sako L61R Finnbear chambered for 30-06, S/N 21964. I purchased this rifle some years ago from a coworker (USAF retired) for $100.00 USD, and was hoping to close in on the date of manufacture and fair market value. Thanks in advance for your time!
    • Rifle is in overall good shape, bluing in great shape with no corrosion/scratches, stock shows some normal wear/marks from hunting. Previous (original) owner used the rifle for a few deer seasons during the 1960's and maybe into the early 1970's. I have shot the rifle a few times, shoots well and functions correctly, but have not dialed-in a load for the rifle (yet).
    • S/N 21964
    • Chambered for 30-06.
    • Includes Bofors Steel stamp.
    • Does not include importer stamp.
    • Includes fine checkering on top of receiver at scope mounting area.
    • No information whether rifle was purchased stateside or overseas, but previous owner was stationed around the globe.
    • Previous owner mounted an early model Redfield 3x9 scope (made in Denver CO.).
    Thanks,
    Brian

2. Brian Frazier

Brian Frazier Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Photos of S/N21964.

Attached Files:

3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Brian,

Something seems amiss with the bottom-metal.

It looks to be bent downward.......as is usually the case, when the internal magazine box is not fully seated into the action or top of the triggerguard/bottom-metal.

Dis-assembly of barrelled action from the stock is usually required.......along with straightening of the bottom-metal.

Hope this helps.

4. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Should be stoked with that. If you got it any cheaper you'd have stolen it.

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    As your serial number is within the range the club has factory records for, just click on "Factory Records Service" @ the top of this page & request the info. Import stamps were not required prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, which was signed into law in October of that year. Bofors barrel indicates it was made prior to 1969 or so, but the serial number tells me much earlier. Military personnel could bring back firearms as well back then. You have the original Sako ringmounts, which is very nice. Nice hunting rifle in a classic caliber that should serve you well. Like kevinig mentioned, looks like the bottom metal could have been incorrectly installed or have some other problem. Definitely check that out before shooting again. Value depends on a host of factors & is not simple, but perusing the gun auction sites for the actual selling prices will give you some comparables. Suffice it to say yours is more a "shooter " than a "collectible". Gathering info here will also help you answer questions as well.

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  6. Brian Frazier

Brian Frazier Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Corrected. Thanks!

7. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi Brian,
    My son has a Finbear 30/06 & our friend hand loaded some 125 gr. NOSLER BALISTIC TIP,(IMR 4350) @3,000 fps that shoot well in a- 1 in 10 twist. My AV likes them as well. He also loaded some 180 gr. don't know the load specs on that one. For some reason both our rifles do not like the 150 gr. projectiles. Sadly our friend passed away last week Covid -19. Best of luck with a fine rifle, try a high shoulder shot works well on deer & antalope.

8. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Front sight but no rear sight. Hmm. I guess you will need the aperture if you want to go scopeless. Nice rifle. I like it’s lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk