• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Newbie with Sako mauser question

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

dunkinboy

Hello, I recently acquired a Sako mauser in 30.06. It is in really good shape with only a few handling marks on the wood and bluing still in great shape. However, someone had added a 1" recoil pad that made the lop too long for a good cheek weld for me. I found someone on ebay selling what was supposed to be a sako buttplate that would fit the sako mausers so I ordered it. Unfortunately, when installed it was about 1/16" too short. I'm considering having my smith install a much thinner recoil pad but I would really like to find a sake butt plate to fit. Any suggestions where to find one? thanks guys, Jeff

Jeff - sorry to hear of your issue maybe if you post pictures of the Butt of the stock with measurements someone may be able to help
I personally have no experience with the mauser but I am sure many member do and will be able to add their opinions
good luck

Try gungrip.com. You can see what they've got simply by clicking the banner at the top of this page.

I guess I'll have to live with the less than perfect fit for now until I see how she shoots. If she ends up a keeper maybe I'll have a thin recoil pad installed. I noticed that the barrel is not freefloated, what kind of accuracy are you guys seeing with this model? Thanks in advance for any feedback, Jeff

I guess I'll have to live with the less than perfect fit for now until I see how she shoots. If she ends up a keeper maybe I'll have a thin recoil pad installed. I noticed that the barrel is not freefloated, what kind of accuracy are you guys seeing with this model? Thanks in advance for any feedback, Jeff
You can cut the stock & have any thickness recoil pad installed. No matter what pad you choose it will be a grind to fit type so why not have the stock fitted for your preferred LOP with the pad you want? Accuracy is dependent on the variables of each individual rifle, the ammo you use, & your shooting ability, not on what model it is.

I noticed that the barrel is not freefloated, what kind of accuracy are you guys seeing with this model?
Sako built its reputation for accuracy with rifles on which the barrels were fully bedded in the wooden stock channel. "Glass bedding" and "free floating" are two methods used to avoid the precision work of properly bedding a stock.

I've only had experience with one Sako Mauser, a .30-06. I have not shot it extensively, but have loaned it twice to a friend visiting from out of state to hunt with. I set him up on the bench to check its zero, and after being satisfied with where it was shooting at 100 yards I stood a bowling pin on top of the target stand at 300 yards. He knocked it off with one shot. He also killed three deer with it, each with one shot. And all of that without a glassed receiver and a rain gutter cut beside the barrel.:D

Sako built its reputation for accuracy with rifles on which the barrels were fully bedded in the wooden stock channel. "Glass bedding" and "free floating" are two methods used to avoid the precision work of properly bedding a stock.

I've only had experience with one Sako Mauser, a .30-06. I have not shot it extensively, but have loaned it twice to a friend visiting from out of state to hunt with. I set him up on the bench to check its zero, and after being satisfied with where it was shooting at 100 yards I stood a bowling pin on top of the target stand at 300 yards. He knocked it off with one shot. He also killed three deer with it, each with one shot. And all of that without a glassed receiver and a rain gutter cut beside the barrel.:D

Learn something new every day! Didn't realize that to be the case in reference to the Sako stocks, although considering the accuracy of these rifles, it certainly makes sense.

Your Sako M doesn't have a rain gutter? Sad... By the way, I'm working on a Bluetooth/Phone "App" device that will flip my Safety on upon receipt of incoming Facebook alerts and phone calls. The deer can wait... o_O:D

Stonecreek, thanks for the info on the early Sako rifles and the full stock bedding. That's exactly the type of anecdotal feedback I was looking for. I'm not under the impression that free-floating a barrel is the only way to achieve good accuracy, I was just commenting on an observation. Sounds like the full stock bedding would be trickier than glass bedding and free-floating, probably why you don't hear of too many people doing that anymore. If I'm not mistaken, Melvin Forbes used to do the same thing with his Ultra Light Arms rifles but he used a fiberglass stock, of course. As soon as we have some nice weather here in the east I plan to get this one out to the range with a variety of ammo to see how she does. I'll give an update. Any other Sako Mauser owners with comments out there? Thanks guys, Jeff

Also, I have a Browning Safari rifle in .243 that appears to have full contact in the barrel channel as well. Maybe that's how a lot of manufacturers did it decades ago. I've never been impressed with the accuracy of that rifle though but, to be fair, I only shoot 100 gr bullets through it because that's what I like for deer hunting with a .243. Maybe it would do much better with lighter bullets but with it's pencil barrel, I don't consider it a varmint rifle. It's plenty accurate enough for deer though and it's a classy rifle so I keep it.

Back