• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

North America Arms Corp. (Toronto, Canada 1959-62) Model 80 Grizzly SAKO L46 .222.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

waterwolf

I recently picked up this proprietary North America Arms Corp. (Toronto, Canada 1959-62) SAKO L46 .222. It is in excellent condition (blue approx. 100%). Receiver has all the standard Sako markings. Barrel is marked "Genuine Sako barrel" on bottom near receiver. Barrel length is approx. 25.25 in. to front of receiver ring. No markings on the uncheckered stock except for the "NAACO" buttplate.

1767.JPG

3308.JPG

2430.JPG

4230.JPG

5200.JPG

6146.JPG

5a3.JPG

9a5.JPG

898.JPG

975.JPG

7120.JPG

10128.JPG

12129.JPG

Last edited:
VERY interesting!

The "Original Sako Barrel" mark was one usually used on barrels Sako sold to the gunsmithing trade. That might infer that NAACO bought both the action and the barrel from Sako and assembled them, along with the stocks, themselves (or used a contractor). Or, it could mean that Sako put the barreled action together for NAACO to their specifications using one of their "gunsmithing" barrels. If you'll post or send me the full serial number I'll see what we might glean from the factory records.

What a great find!! Looks like pristine condition too.

Will be interesting to learn more about it!

Congratulations!!

Jim

L41?? Maybe a typo. Do the serial #'s match? If so that would indicate an action set sent by Sako. Gads, what a find! Well done indeed.

sorry ...L46

Thank you to stonecreek: Sako factory records indicate this rifle "was inspected 18 August 1961 and was an action-only". So apparently NAACO (or their contractor?) assembled the rifle using the Sako barrel and their own walnut stock (not sure of the variety but it looks like European Walnut to me rather than American Black Walnut.).

I originally bought this rifle as a parts gun (it was simply advertised as a restocked Sako). Before I actually saw it, my plan was to pull it apart, keep the receiver for future projects and sell the barrel and stock. However, when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised, first by the minty condition and then by the Canadian NAACO connection. Now that I know what it is (more or less), I'll be keeping it intact.

Last edited:
On the Canadiangunnutz forums I have heard from someone who has a 1961 NAACO catalog (I have not seen it). He says that:

" I'm looking at the NAACO 1961 catalog right now, all the Sako and NAACO 222's are listed with 23.5 inch barrels and they all have sights other than the heavy barrel model. Price is $99.95...

...They list a Model 50 (Deluxe) and a Model 60 (Standard) Grizzly rifles in 308, the 50 has checkering and an ebony fore end, the 60 does not. Price is $129.95 and $109.95.

The Model 70 Grizzly is in 243.

The Model 80 Grizzly is the 222.

The Model 90D and 90S Grizzly are in 30-06 on FN Mauser actions.

Model 100 Grizzly looks like a Sako Finnwolf, listed in short action 243 and 308 and long action 270 and 30-06"

So the .222 that I have is apparently the Model 80 Grizzly heavy barrel model.

Latest posts

Back