Pay a premium For 223 Vixen or not??

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by casador, Apr 21, 2016.

1. casador

casador Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hello guy's, The question is how much of a premium should be payed for a Vixen in 223cal, Iv'e been looking for a while now and it seems like the advarge is like 10 to 1 in favor for the 222 over the 223. I imagine it being because they made more 222's then 223's. I like would like to find a 223 because I don't reload and there is a ton of 223 loads out there. Whats your opinion, go with 222 or continue looking for a 223????

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Making a choice between a .222 and .223 Sako should be a matter of personal preference. If someone on the forum recommends one over the other and you decide to take their advice you might end up not liking the choice that you made. So if I were you I would make my decision based upon your personal preference. Ammo is readily available for either chambering so ammo shouldn't really be a major factor. It should come down to your preference for the style of the rifle. For example, an L46 will be clip fed while the L461 will have an integral magazine. The action configuration and safety design and placement is different between the two designs. Stock design is different. So take a look at the rifles that are available in the marketplace. Whatever design you like the best is the one you should select. Both calibers are very accurate so at some point you gotta go with your gut.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The L46 was not offered in nor will it function with the 223 Rem cartridge. A M1 Garand has a clip. The L46 has a detachable box magazine. The 223 L461s bring a slight premium over the 222 Rem chambering because they are scarcer, but the difference in condition between rifles can affect price more sometimes so no one can tell you how much the "premium" should be. Would you pay a premium for a 223 with worn bluing & scratches on the stock over a clean 222? Suffice it to say any "premium" isn't going to make a difference in your retirement. If the minor difference in cost is the determining factor over what caliber you prefer you probably shouldn't be buying either. It won't take long to make up any difference in cost with the less expensive 223 ammo if you shot a lot, anyway.

4. casador

casador Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida

5. casador

casador Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    First let me explain that I'm more of a shooter collector, not just a pack rat that stores guns. I have several "collectable" rifles that I regularly shoot. I do take great care not to damage them of course but I enjoy shooting them. My question was based on the fact that I have been watching some of the auction sites (GB-GA) and when ever a nice 223 L461 comes up people seem to loose their minds and offer some big dollars for them. Maybe I'm wrong but in my opinion paying $1500-2000 for a used 223 L461 is to much.

I was just watching one auction on GB, there was a relatively nice 223 L461, it had a nice stock and the metal was pretty nice too, I would have given the total package a 95% condition. It finally sold for $1600. Now I know that one sale does not determine the state of the market on any gun, you will always have that person that just has to have it and is willing to pay what ever for it. I have seen that in other types of auctions wether it be cars, boats or any other auction.

Iv'e been hunting for one for a while now so I guess I'll ether have to pay more or give up!!

6. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    That $1600 sale was for a Sako Deluxe rifle in .223. The rifle has some real issues, blue worn off at the muzzle, blue worn off on the trigger guard and most of all the top of the dovetails had been drilled for the mounts. The person that paid $1600 purchased a rifle where the Leupold scope retailed for about $550, Mounts and rings about $90. Considering the issues with the rifle I estimated that it was worth something under $750 on a good day. Figure the scope, mount and ring package was worth $325 in the used market the guy overpaid significantly for the rig. As always I would appreciate additional comments from our more learned members.

Now getting back to my previous comments. You have two choices an L46 in .222. These rifles can be had in very good condition for a reasonable amount. They do have the clip (box magazine as Paul correctly calls it). But they are very nice rifles and shoot very well. Your other choice is to go for an L461 in either .222, .222 Mag or .223. The magazine on these rifles is internal and again they shoot extremely well. Either way there are deals to be had. You have to be patient and not give up. Yep it is true that dealers ask really high amounts for them. But they don't sell or when they do it is to some person that has no concept of what the market value really is or should be. So I council patience. You can also try to wangle a deal! Sometimes that works. The rifle you are looking for is out there and it will popup on one of the sites for a reasonable price eventually. When it does jump on it!

rick

7. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    There are two L46 .222s' on Armslist as we speak. Both are priced about $1000 or less. Take a look. I didn't see any .223s' but I'll keep looking for you.

rick

8. casador

casador Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Thanks Rick, I appreciate your comments and as a matter of fact I failed to take notice of the rings on that gun, I'm glad I passed on it now. I'll check out Armslist...

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I stay completely away from "Armslist" as it has been found to be rife with scams. That's not to say that most offerings there are not legitimate, but Armslist does little or nothing to protect buyers from con artists, and many of them lurk there.

It is true that the .223 caliber is "hot" right now. That is probably because of the knee-jerk overreaction of ammunition companies which flooded the market with cheap .223 ammunition after the shortage scare. Ironically there was a poster here on SCC just two years ago who was trying to get his .223 rechambered to .222 Magnum because he couldn't find any .223 ammo and had (amazingly) located a sizable stock of (now discontinued) Remington .222 Magnum ammunition at a wholesaler, thus the desire to rechamber. I think the unanimous response of the community was STOP!

Ammunition for the .222 is (1) a bit less common than .223 in stores, (2) usually limited to one bullet weight and type, (3) typically more expensive than .223, and (4) loaded to lower pressure and therefore performance than the .223. This all combines to make the .223 more popular. However, for handloaders those relative disadvantages of the .222 largely disappear. So the difference between the two becomes more about the kind of rifle it is available in rather than of inherent advantages in the cartridge.

10. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    First, I sent an Email message to the powers that be to get rid of these pesky ads. They fill the page, provide no value what so ever and are a pain in the neck to get rid of. Hopefully Jim and company will see the error of their ways and git this garbage out of the forum.

Now to Armslist. I have purchases several rifles from people advertising there. I assure integrity of the deal by insisting that the transaction be handled by an escrow dealer. Honest folks don't mind handling a transaction that way and most importantly it works.

11. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    I've found that if you want something you'll have to pay for it. Some people do get good deals, usually because they are in the "click". I am not one of those people in the gun click, I do get deals on other things in life and use those deals to buy what I like, Sako's. LOL.
    Is this the Sako L461 Deluxe 223 that was 1600?
    pix835956646.jpg
    The rings are Burris and clamped on with a small set screw, therefore no holes. I have a set of these rings. Price out a Leupold and rings and do the math. You may find it is not bad deal.
    Opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. I have missed out on a few nice rifles becasue I asked and listened tsomeone else.

12. colt45sa

colt45sa Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I sold my L461 Vixen Hunter in 6PPCor $1600 and regretted it the moment I walked out the shippers door. It had beautiful wood and was very accurate. I now have a Varmint/Target single shot model with a heavy barrel and a stock that looks like a fence post. Just wait around for some dumb ass like me to give away his Vixen and jump on it.

13. Webphut

Webphut Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I just "bought now" a Sako AI Varmint 223 Reminton on gun broker for what will be $2200 when it is handed over to me by my FFL. Overpriced?, YES, Why did I pay it then?, because I was tired of trying to win auctions only to be outbid. Now I don't know if this justifies saying thats the going price for these rifles, but I got it finally and even though I overpayed in my opinion, the rifle is one of the rifles I wanted for a long time and now I finally got one, and I was finally willing to pay the price.

cl_leg likes this.
  14. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Get what you want, even if you aren't sure you want it. I have never been sorry doing just that.

As far as L46 .223, here is mine. It started out as a Marlin 322 and I had Dennis Olson build this beauty from the action. I traded something to Jim Lutes for a 222 mag magazine and have since been shooting a .223 in a Sako "46 ever since.

I did, however, end up with 4 different 222 mags, 3 .223's and 2 222's and haven't been sorry. I am not done yet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    cl_leg likes this.