1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

Photos of L61R Trigger internals

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by jobl, Nov 24, 2022.

1. jobl

jobl Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Stockholm
    Hello!
    I've been searching without any luck for photos of the internal parts of the trigger on L61R (maybe it is called the #4 trigger, correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone have any photos on hand? Specifically I would like to see what the safety shaft that runs through the trigger housing looks like, from the schematic below I'm having some trouble understanding exactly how the mechanism works.
    OmtzlLC.jpg

2. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hello Jobi,
    Look at the main page, go down the left side see the categories
    select: Tips & Tricks
    See No. 4 trigger adjustment by Tillyman
    Follow directions, but first I would try soaking in Acetone, Xylene, Carburetor cleaner or some other type solvent for a few days. Then work the safety back & forth & get all working smoothly. lightly lube it.
    then blow it out with an air hose or similar device. Good luck, B/T

3. jobl

jobl Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Stockholm
    I'll give it a shot, thanks.

4. jobl

jobl Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Stockholm
    The problem I am having is with the safety being impossible to engage sometimes. Now that I understand the mechanism better, I'm fairly certain that the issue is that the trigger weight is set too low. Or perhaps that some parts are worn out in the trigger. I've previously noticed that there is a correlation to to orientation of the gun when I repeat. If pointed upward, the safety is almost sure to be stuck in unengaged position. If pointed down usually it is fine.

My suspicion is that the upper part of the trigger (part 6 in the schematic) can be either a bit forward, blocking the rotation of the safety shaft, or sit back against the cocking piece. I verified this by applying a bit of force to the trigger. If I pull slightly on the trigger, or point the gun upward letting gravity do the pulling when repeating, I can't engage the safety. When I in this configuration push the trigger forwards, I am able to engage the safety. I can't see how dirt would cause these symptoms.

I will try and measure the pull weight accurately, tried with a bucket of water and a string but it's hard to get accurate results, friction in the string rubbing against the gun, point of contact on the trigger and angle of pull etc seem to cause significant variations in the measurements. I got weight in the range of 2.3-2.7 kg which should be well in the specified range, but when I pull the trigger manually I feel like it's lighter than that. Hard to judge though.

5. jobl

jobl Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Stockholm

Edit:
    I got a bit nerdy about it and refined my method. Removed the stock and used a wire coat hanger upside down with a bent notch on the bar where I hung it on the trigger. Then I attached the hook to a bucket of water weighing 2.70 kg and put it on a kitchen scale. By slowly lifting the bucket I could note the remaining weight when the trigger released.

I took two series of 30 measurements, in the first series I applied forward pressure to the trigger when reloading. In the second series I did a normal reload proceedure with the gun horizontal. This is the resulting distribution and timeseries for measurement #1:
    series_1_distribution_small.png series_1_timeseries_small.png
    And #2:
    series_2_distribution_small.png series_2_timeseries_small.png

And before you ask, yes I'm a nerd.

So I think it's safe to say that my trigger pull is adjusted too light. Or something is seriously worn out or broken. I found it a bit interesting that in the first series where I pushed the trigger forwards while reloading, it has a large variance for the first 9-10 samples, and then it seems to stabilize around 1200 grams. Normal repetition has a much more even distribution...

I think I might try to crank the weight adjustment screw up a few notches and do another series of measurements and see if it helps.

6. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Variability of several hundred grams is not normal for #4 trigger. Last time I saw something like this the trigger axle had drifted half way out of the housing, the trigger was wiggling side to side like a loose tooth.

7. jobl

jobl Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Stockholm
    Yes the main potential fault I can think of in my method is where on the trigger the weight is put. I did make a small mark on it and made an effort to hang the weight on the same spot. But it obviously make a big difference since it alters the lever. Makes me wonder what the "standard" point is for measuring this. I guess trigger pull should really be specified in terms of torque but maybe that is splitting hairs.

I may end up trying to find a new trigger, but it's reassuring that this is not normal.

8. tilleyman

tilleyman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    I would first look at over-travel adjustment first and then sear engagement, then release weight.
    Incorrect over-travel adjustment can affect safety engagement sometimes, on my 'fiddled with' L579 No 4 trigger also had the trigger weight spring cut down!

9. jobl

jobl Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Stockholm
    Interesting. I'm thinking of disassembling the trigger, I guess it does not require any special tools. But a bit on the fence, might wait until hunting season is over at least.

I'm having trouble finding any specific info on what on here is referred to as "the number 4 trigger". Is it the same basic construction for other L-actions such as L461, i.e. do several models use the same trigger so it would be compatible with L61R? I've found a few triggers that look the same or similar, listed as "L461 L579 Trigger". Sometimes they have a slit revealing some of the internals of the trigger, and the finish on the trigger lever seems to vary but overall they look the same.

Anyone have access to any documentation from Sako on this trigger? So far I have only found the schematic I attached in my original post which is from the L61R manual found on Sako's site for old models, and the exploded view from your thread. Not sure what else I would need, but the more documentation the better :)

BR,
    Johan

10. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Mr. jobi,
    Seems like you are adventurous & eager to take the trigger apart. I would advise the solvent bath for several days & as a last resort have fun on taking the trigger assy. apart. Your trigger is more than likely a # 4, see Tillymans thread comparison to yours should clear that up. Best of luck & let us know how it turns out, have fun !! B/T