Please help with info.

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Billy, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Billy

Billy Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    Good day. Can you guys please help me with info on this sako .270 please IMG-20210203-WA0007.jpg IMG-20210203-WA0006.jpg IMG-20210202-WA0046.jpg

Unclekax likes this.

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    You have an absolutely stunning example of a Sako High Power, aka FN-Sako or Sako-Mauser. In the 1950's, before Sako started making the L61R Finnbear, it built rifles on Mauser-type actions acquired from Fabrique Nationale in Belgium. Yours appears to be a very early gun, as it has the original Mauser type safety on the bolt and the stock has a straight comb and the same style checkering as an L46. Later rifles had Sako trigger packs with a built-in trigger safety. Later stocks had a raised Monte Carlo cheekpiece and a different style of checkering.

The FN-Sako rifles are most commonly seen in .30-06, .270, and .300 H&H. Some were also made in 8x60, 8x60S, .375 H&H, 7x57, and possibly others in very small numbers. I own two of them, an all-original .30-06 and a custom .300 H&H. I am posting photos so you can see the differences between your rifle and a later version.

Your rifle appears to be completely original and in beautiful condition. It's the best example of an early FN-Sako that I've ever seen. I am envious. Congratulations!

The lower rifle is an original FN-Sako in .30-06; the upper is a custom in .300 H&H. The .30-06 has the later style stock with raised Monte Carlo cheekpiece and the checkering is different from the earliest guns. It retains the Mauser-type bolt safety, marking it as likely from the mid-50's. It also has screw-on Sako dovetail bases, which were available from Sako.
    2 Rifles .JPG 2 Stocks - Left.JPG 06 Scope Right.JPG 2 Forends.JPG

3. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    There are at least two 8x57’s made.

I was late on an ad for one many years ago and I know of a guy who owns one too.

I’ve heard of one in 9,3x62 but not sure it exists.

Jim

4. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    BTW, nice pics icebear!!

Jim

5. Billy

Billy Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other

6. Billy

Billy Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    Thank you icebear. I impulsively bought this rifle a few weeks back and it is very difficult to identify on the internet. I am satisfied with my purchase after your post.

You have very nice rifles. Thanks for the pictures. Regards

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The FN-Sakos are interesting rifles. I have a .30-06 in Deluxe configuration (skipline checkering and engraved floorplate just like the L-series Sakos) and a .270 Mannlicher with a full length barrel. Each is the only one I've ever seen in its respective configuration.