Proud owner of L579 purchased by brother in 1966

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Mark A Kramer, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Mark A Kramer

Mark A Kramer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi, my name is Mark Kramer, retired MSgt from the USMC and long time gun enthusiast. This is my first Sako rifle, an L579 heavy barrel S/N 51276, and am excited to own it, shoot it, and enjoy it. I recently purchased at the "brother price" which was very good. He shot it at the gun club he has been a member of outside of Lafayette IN at the annual 300 yard competition and won several awards with it coupled with his reloaded ammunition paired for accuracy over the years, mostly in the 60's and 70's. I remember reloading 38 and 357 at my brother's house in the early 80's for my S&W 686, still have it and wife claims equal ownership. Great times!

I just retired from my second career working from/managing the Quality of the USMC and Navy Metrology Calibration programs. So, yes I'm a sticker for quality, accuracy, precision... which goes hand in hand with target shooting. I'm starting a part-time job with the Georgia DNR as a range safety officer for the newly overhauled Michael Commander shooting range outside of Albany GA, where I have been a steady customer for at least 20 years. I'm looking forward to reading about Sako firearms and learning from others in regards to the L579 rifle.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    deergoose and FLT like this.

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    308 I take it to be?

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    With that MOS, you should have no trouble sighting in your Sako!! I'm going to start calling my shooting range the "Metrology Calibration Area". Love the sound of that, plus it will get some bewildered looks. Welcome aboard. Semper Fi!