1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

Renaissance Wax

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by icebear, Jul 31, 2022.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    There has been some discussion of waxing stocks and what to use. Renaissance Wax is highly regarded by many gun collectors, museum curators, etc. for its quality and shine. The arrival of a secondhand Ruger 10/22 stock gave me an opportunity to illustrate what a few coats of wax can do for a stock. The first photo shows the buttstock after five or six coats of RW; the second is the forend before applying any wax. The finish on the walnut stock is most likely a matte poly of some kind.

I've also used plain Johnson's paste wax on stocks with good effect, and there are other excellent products.
    Wax 1.JPG Wax 2.JPG

Bucktote likes this.

2. atticus

atticus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    It's great stuff, wood or metal

3. atticus

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    It's great stuff, wood or metal

4. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
  5. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I rub it out right away. RW dries almost instantly; there's no need to wait. It has a much lighter consistency than conventional paste waxes like Johnson's.

6. South Pender

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    That's interesting, icebear. I guess with the 5 or 6 applications, it builds up to a nice solid coat. With the English wax I referenced above, they recommend a 5-minute wait before polishing it off.

7. atticus

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I use it also. Great stuff. It is what I use on wood most of the time. I don't know if you got your from double gun journal, but I received notification, they are closing

8. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Every product is different. Johnson's paste wax, which I used on guns before some other members of this forum put me on to Renaissance Wax, takes a good while to dry.

And speaking of Johnson's Paste Wax, just plain wax can be used as a wood finish on hard woods. I once visited a workshop in Belize where woodcarvers made objects out of tropical hardwoods for the tourist trade. One carver was vigorously applying paste wax to a shark he had just finished sanding. This was the normal practice among Belizean woodcarvers. Here's a photo of a zericote wood shark I bought in Belize in 1979. The finish has never been touched, except for dusting.
    Shark 1.JPG

9. South Pender

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    No, I've got mine directly from England--William Evans (link above).

10. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I just noticed on the label that Renaissance Wax is also made in England. With a royal warrant, even. "By Appointment to..." etc. Not sure if I'm impressed - on the one hand, royal purveyors do generally deal in quality goods. On the other hand, to be the equivalent of Lady Camilla's dressmaker... Maybe not so impressive. In any case, it's good stuff.

11. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I've found none better than,

EEE WAX.jpg

sraaw likes this.