Finnwolf VL63 Rising Finnwolf Prices

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by stonecreek, Jan 14, 2021.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    While the prices for typical standard Sako bolt hunting rifles have been fairly flat for some time, Finnwolfs seem to have caught fire. Check out this recent GB sale: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888983067

That's getting close to half of what a set of SCA collector edition Finnwolfs go for, NIB. Other than the fact that "they're not making any more of them", what is driving such strong demand?

siekkid likes this.

2. grinch

grinch Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    other
    what is driving such strong demand?

Money is becoming more and more a mere number? ;)

or

Ridiculous sum of money for not having 50 years of hunting with the beauty.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  3. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889320835
    Here's another one that just sold for $2,200. That's roughly a 100% increase in the last two to three years, as best I can track it.

The Finnwolfs are a bit scarce, but there are other Sakos which are much rarer and do not bring the same kind of money, so scarcity alone doesn't appear to be the driving factor.

4. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I agree, I have seen an increase in prices on the Finnwolfs. Seems nice ones are bringing North of $2000 as of not that long ago nice ones were bringing $1500 or under.

stonecreek likes this.
  5. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think you're pretty well spot-on on the market's movement.

6. Heatheroo

Heatheroo Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    To paraphrase the old Jeep ad: “It’s a Finnwolf thing. You wouldn’t understand”

7. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    One thing I can think of is that they only made some 10000 of them. So not many around in good shape I would say. And since many journalists and "gun-people" hold them in high regard as one of, if not THE best lever action ever made, maybe they have been undervalued for long? Not sure?

Another thing I have noticed since my wife has a vintage store, sales of good quality items have rocketed here in Europe since this dreadful cover business started. People with cash in hand and in quarantine has little to do and can´t go anywhere so why not treat yourself with a new rifle?

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Jim

8. waterwolf

waterwolf Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I have never owned a Finnwolf and have no desire to own any lever rifle. Yet, while I am sure they are admirable rifles, I understand that they are very difficult to disassemble and that many gunsmiths will refuse to work on them. Most Sako owners who are so used to being able to completely strip their relatively simple bolt-action mechanisms see this as a fault, but I suppose that if Finnwolfs don't break, there is no reason to repair them.

9. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You guys have me interested.

Imagine......a Finnwolf in 17 Javelina............or 20BR. Hmmmmmmm...!!

10. waterwolf

waterwolf Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I see one now for sale in Canada. The owner admits he hunted with it for at least ten years and that it has problems with ejecting empties. He has a firm price on it of $2200. (thats roughly $1730. US)

11. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I've seen a couple Finnwolf's chambered in 22-250.

12. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Does anybody have a VL73 Finnwolf? Or has even seen one? Apparently not many were made, but I've seen photos and documentation that such a thing was actually produced. I don't recall what the differences were from a VL63, but as far as I know they were relatively minor and there was no obvious visual difference.

13. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    To my knowledge there was never a VL73 produced, no gun ever stamped VL73, just a name
    Although some say the newer flat bottomed magazine gun with no cheek piece is the 73 Icebear would love to see the pictures you have

14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The factory records show a "VL-63 M-73" beginning in 1975 with 511 of them produced in .308. It also shows the "VL-63" with only 10 made in 1975. That makes it appear that there was some difference (stock? magazine?) between the regular "VL-63" and the "VL-63 M-73" and that the "VL-63" was phased out in favor of the "VL-63 M-73". The same thing occurs with the .243 chambering with just 39 of them listed as "VL-63" and 234 of the "VL-63 M-73" models built.

Attached is the last page of the "VL-63 M-73" for caliber .308 in 1975.

Incidentally, the handful of prototype semi-automatic Sakos were listed as the "A-73".

Attached Files:

deersako likes this.
  15. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Interesting, thanks for posting. That suggests that the 73 series guns were still stamped VL-63 on the receiver, which accounts for the fact that nobody has ever (knowingly) seen a VL-73.

16. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I seem to remember discussions about vl73 never happening but the Sako folks already had printed literature etc for them so just like spare parts they used hang tags marked M73, and i believe the DW Custer ones may have been so marked. Maybe someone could verify that if the have a NIB Hang Tag. But again no guns actually stamped vl73

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021