Receiver Rough bolt cycling

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Bucktote, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thank you my Aussie friend !!
    Mailman just delivered shims 3PM today ! I will cold blue them & install them next week. Many thanks Mr. Sraaw, Pic = red stag killed in Argentina in 2010. I hope you & family are doing well with this latest round of the China Virus. Keep well & thanks again. B/T

Attached Files:

2. caberslash

caberslash Active Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Orkney
    @Bucktote one thing to check would be of the follower is touching the bolt, giving you a 'false reading'.

I noticed that the early L series rifle bolts come into contact with the follower.

Personally did away with the shims and skim bedded my floorplate with epoxy. Much easier to reassemble!

3. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi caberslash,
    Thanks for the tip, The bolt is draging at the triger guard action screw, as when it is backed off it does not drag. I am a big fan of epoxy fixes as I was maint. contractor & specialized in epoxy reatorations.
    B/T

caberslash likes this.
  4. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Bucktote......

Before you change anything......would you post a close-up picture of the rear tang area, with the bolt removed?

Thanks

5. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi Kevinlg, Sraaw & gunner620,
    Please pardon me, I am computer challanged & cannot seem to transfer phone pics from phones to my pics. in computer. My grands would be coming this weekend but daughter inlaw ( school teacher)
    came down with Covid 19 & will not visit any time soon. I installed the metal Sako shim (.02o) under the bottom tang screw metal area & removed the one gunner sent (.016) & tightened tang screw 18" lbs. Just the .002 made the differance. no bolt drag
    and the wood & metal flush. No trouble with the magazine fit All is good !! Thanks to all B/T

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    tilleyman and caberslash like this.
  6. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    BT glad you fixed it. Now get her ready for hunting season ! Jim