S20 Section ?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Tracy Redpath, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Tracy Redpath

Tracy Redpath Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    How about adding a S20 section. I know they not a collector type gun neither is a TRG. And the S20 is a pretty nice rifle platform.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I doubt the S20 has enough following or sales numbers to warrant it's own section. However, the TRG has had only 96 discussions in it's entire history here so adding the S20 to the TRG section might not be a bad idea.

Tracy Redpath likes this.
  3. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    In my personal opinion for what it's worth. They are both Sako rifles but of somewhat different perspective. The M995 TRGs is basically a heavy duty hunting-target rifle which was designed to use existing components of the military version. Actually the S20 is a copy of the more military designs being presented as market bait for the younger wanna-be crowd by Beretta. I believe that it will draw more folks who will be inclined toward custom modifications.
    That being said, I believe that they are both exceptionally fine rifles for the same general purpose. I have a friend that is getting great accuracy from his in 6.5 PRC, but he shoots paper and loves it. For me, the rifle is way too heavy to even consider hunting with it, so I see the S20 in a target application only. I would rather see the S20 have it's own section for better separation by design. Sakojim.

4. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Why not?
    I feel that we as individual collectors, shooters, hunters or hoarders, should be free to enjoy what Sako has to offer. Be it vintage or modern.
    The S 20 is what Sako obviously feels the modern market wants, probably the same objective they had when they produced the earlier 46’s , 579’s or 61’s.
    Having a section of its own could be useful ,tho I think much of the rifles design is based on the TRG-s and TRG action.
    Should we maybe not be so critical as to what deserves to be part of a collection? Or to be viewed as such?
    All folks want, young and old ( for the most ) is useful information.and maybe a little fellowship and camaraderie
    My 2 cent
    The old hippie

5. Tracy Redpath

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Exactly. I have a Vixen Manlicher, An A1, A 85 Bavarian Carbine and the S20 and really like them all. They all have there followers. The S20 is here to stay even though some might dislike it. Haven't shot it yet as i just finished loading some ammo as 6.5 CM ammo must be made of Unobtainium as you cant find it

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    "You kids get off my lawn!" grumble, grumble, grumble . . . It's taken me twenty-five years to get adjusted to the Model 75 with its three forward lugs to the point that I don't automatically reject it as not being a "real" Sako. I ain't gentled in to the Model 85 yet. Maybe if I live to be 115 I will be able to look at one of them plastic S20 thingamajigs without a sarcastic scoff. I guess by that time the barrel and the bolt will be plastic, too . . . grumble, grumble, bah, humbug . . . and for that matter a cup of coffee should cost a dime. And if you don't get my meaning I'm going to write it all down in a strong letter, put a stamp on it, and mail it straight to you .

7. Tracy Redpath

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Sako makes several ( plastic ) carbon fiber etc. stocked guns now. Carbon wolf 85, Finlite 85, Sako quad etc. I still love walnut and blued steel but plastic stocks make sense for some rifles

8. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Lol!
    Stone, that’s the spirit!
    If we live to be that old, maybe by then the trend will swing around for Retro Reissue Rifles, that look and feel like real wood and steel!
    Lol!
    “Get off my lawn!”
    Good stuff!

Hippie

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'll bet a reproduction L46 Hornet with a flamed birch stock would sell like hotcakes right now;).

FLT and Old Hippie like this.
  10. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Oh god yes!
    Gimme!

11. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    My vote goes for bunching the S20 in with the 85 or TRG. I think it's important to keep the number of different sections down. Good example of what not to do is the Tikka Shooters Forum, where discussions about every single niche topic have their own separate sections, most of which have 0-4 discussions in them.

12. Tracy Redpath

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    My vote is to put the S20 with the TRG section also as they have more in common with them

13. CerebralDistortion

CerebralDistortion Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Smaaland
    Simply put: No!

Don't mix in the S20 with the TRG/M995. To me, that would be to put a L46 with a 85 just because they both have wood stocks... or a Fiat Lupo by a Ferrari F40 because they are both Italian cars.

Give the S20 it's own section, maybe together with the A7 since they are more similar than anything else Sako has made.

Edit: The A7 has about 40 topics to it in the 75, 85 and A7 section... If numbers matter.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  14. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Weren't you in that Clint Eastwood movie, Gran Torino? The one where he chases the kids off his lawn with a Garand?

15. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Hee!
    That’s exactly who and what scene I envisioned!
    Lol!
    Hippie

16. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, but they photoshopped the Garand into the picture. I was actually holding a double-barreled 12 with rabbit ear hammers in keeping with my philosophy on proper firearms.

17. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Agree.