sako 18 1/2 inch barrel 300 weatherby

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by 300WIN1975, Jan 9, 2013.

1. 300WIN1975

300WIN1975 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Hi i am new to this so hopefully i am doing this right. So anyway here goes. I wanted to see if anyone could help me out with some info on a sako that i just purchased. During the past couple of years I started collecting some various sakos and 2 tikka over and under 12/222s. I bought a new finnlight 300 win mag and also got a finnwolf in 308 from my girlfriend for xmas( guess shes a keeper ) but anyway I purchased a sako 300 weatherby mag with an 18 1/2 inch barrel , it has what i would call a high gloss 3/4 stock and is probably 95 to 98 %. I cant seem to find any info on it. It appears to be a sako "Handy Rifle" from what the blue book says, but doesnt list the 300 weath as a caliber that was produced. Also all the writing on the barrel is in gold. Can anyone tell me any info about the gun....Thanks for your help

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Not familiar with the term 3/4 stock & not aware of any Sakos with gold lettering. Pictures would be most helpful in analyzing what you have. Hard to believe that a 300 Weatherby with an 18.5" barrel would have been a Sako factory offering. What is your action model? Post pics or describe the lettering on the barrel. Forget the Blue Book. Most of what they have about Sakos is incorrect or misleading.

3. 300WIN1975

300WIN1975 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
  4. 300WIN1975

300WIN1975 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    DID SEND PICTURES TODAY HOWEVER THEY HYAVE NOT POSTED YET. NOT SURE IF I POSTED THEM CORECTLY OR IF THEY HAVE TO BE REVIEWED....HERE IS SOME MORE INFO SAKO AV SERIAL NUMBER 650106 ALSO SAYS CAL 300 WEATH MAG. MADE IN FINLAND.... AGAIN ALL OF THIS IS INSCRIPTED WITH GOLD ...HOPE THIS HELPS....I WILL KEEP AN EYE ON THE PICTURES AND TRY TO POST AGAIN IF THEY DONT SHOW UP....THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You definitely have something different than I have seen. With Sako I have learned to never say never about something they could have made. It appears to be an original Sako stock and barrel in 300 Weatherby. Not sure about the barrel length being original. The gold inlay was probably added by a previous owner, which leads me to suspect he also cut the barrel to it's present length, but that's just a guess. Barrel lengths are usually measured from bolt face to muzzle & yours doesn't match any Sako barrel lengths I am familiar with. Seems odd that a 300 Weatherby would have such a short barrel & negate any advantage it would have over other 30 cals due to the severe loss of velocity obtainable compared to a barrel length (24" to 26") more appropriate to the cartridge. That thing is going to be VERY loud when you shoot it!!! Hopefully others more knowledgeable about this "Handy Rifle", as you described it, will chime in and enlighten us. Thanks for the pics. What you have is interesting & to me, a mystery. Stonecreek, where are you?

6. 300WIN1975

300WIN1975 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN COME UP WITH SOMETHING. I DID LOOK AT END OF BARREL JUST TO SEE IF IT LOOK LIKE IT WAS CUT. I AM NO EXPERT BY ANY MEANS BUT THE END OF THE BARREL LOOKS JUST LIKE THE FINNWOLF THAT I HAVE. BUT I AM SURE SOMEONE STILL COULD HAVE CUT IT LIKE U SAID. I AGREE THAT THERE WOULDNT BE MUTCH ADVANTAGE BEING THAT SHORT OF A BARREL. I HAVE SHOT IT , AND IT MAKES THE FIRE FLY. SURPRISINGLY THE RECOIL ISNT THAT BAD THOUGH.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yup, here she is: The 1989 (No. 80) edition of Shooter's Bible lists a Sako Carbine with 18.5" barrel in .300 Weatherby (as well as several other magnum calibers). I suspect they are pretty rare birds since most shooters are sophisticated enough to recognized the velocity and muzzle blast issues associated with such a large capacity case in such a short barrel and sales would have been slow in this model/caliber.

Like Paulson says, the gold filling in the stamped lettering would have been applied by the previous owner and is not factory.

8. 300WIN1975

300WIN1975 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Stonecreek Thats great that you found it . Thank you I thought the same thing when i bought it, why would anyone want this in such a short barrel. Just thought it was interesting, so i bought it. Not that its going anywhere but back in the safe, but what do u think it may be worth? Going to Canada in spring may take it along and decide to shoot a bear with it. Again, thanks