• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 375 Magnum mauser

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Mike!
That would be very close to what I have learned.
I just bought a 7x33 with serial# 5606 (I think! Might be 5608!) and that would make it 51-52-ish.
SS!
I would also like a copy or a scan, so IxB4ll send my adress in a PM!
Jim

SS!
Ok! Thanks Buddy! I guess I misread your post! I read that ONLY 6776 pcs were made!
Guess I was lost in translation!!
Jim

My first time post here. I wanted to share my two FN Magnum Sakos...
375 Wby. There were a bunch that were rechambered by an importer and marketed with the Wby chambering. This is a very nice example with fine wood and masterfully done basketweave checkering. It has one standing, one folding and a three position safety. It is my favorite elk rifle.

The other is a 300 H&H

Nice looking rifles bc, nice elk too ! I am curious about the action on your .375. The early Sako mausers were made on at least a couple of different actions, the FN being one. Your .375 appears to be made on one of the others (not FN ?) or has it had an after market bolt shroud/safety installed ?

Welcome, bcsafari, and nice rifles!

FN Sakos were being imported during the decade of the 1950's at a time when the Weatherby craze was catching on among the better-heeled sportsmen. Since the Sakos were high-quality rifles, it seems that it was exceedingly popular to rechamber them to the Weatherby cartridges, both .300 and .375 WBY. In fact, I've seen more FN Sakos in .300 WBY than in the original .300 H&H!

I have a friend who is lucky enough to have acquired one which was rebarreled to .300 WBY rather than rechambered, and he got the original .300 H&H barrel along with it. That was quite a find.

Your .375 looks highly customized, and as you indicate, apparently by the importer or proprietary rifle builder. Do you know what company this was?

It is an FN action but with a custom shroud and three position safety. I blundered into this gun for $750.00 and ran before the seller realized what he had done. ;) I have to say that is is one of the best shooting rifles I've ever owned, and there have been many over 48 years if big game hunting and gun trading. It had a Burris 3-10 30mm EuroDiamond German #4 ret. in Leupold Weaver-type QD mounts that allowed me to still use open sights if necessary.
I can't remember the importer who modified these. I have the information somewhere around the house and will look for it. The 375 Wby FN shown earlier in this post has the EXACT same lettering in the exact same place as mine. I'm familiar with that particular gun and almost bought it recently.
When I nabbed the 300 H&H I was ecstatic to find one still in H&H, not Wby. I do love the 375 Wby round and think it was the best 375 ever conceived, until the 375 Ruger came along. Still, the Wby has that extra I like for longer range shooting ( I sight this one in at 300 yards with Nosler 260gr AccuBonds) and for using heavy bullets for DG. The 300 H&H gave me a Classic Battery for anywhere.
I have to say that I love this forum and have lurked for quite a while here.
My other Sako was a 375 H&H Safari. I thought highly of it, but someone came along and thought more highly. The SOB paid my ridiculous asking price!

bcsafari said:
My other Sako was a 375 H&H Safari. I thought highly of it, but someone came along and thought more highly. The SOB paid my ridiculous asking price!
I too, have had unscrupulous buyers use that underhanded tactic on me. The nerve of them! Paying what I asked!

Just last week a good friend told me he had sold his Deluxe .308 for a stratospheric price. It was a gun he had searched months to find.

"I thought you were going to keep that one be cause you liked it so well", I told him.

"Well, I did, but that idiot liked it even better than me," was his response.

Latest posts

Back