Earlier Production SAKO A2 Trigger unit options

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by Hunterdm, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Hunterdm

Hunterdm Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    Good afternoon,
    I'm new to the forum and own a rebarreled Sako A2, 7mm08, not sure what the original calibre was, could have been 7mm08 or 243 or 308. Seated in a Forester stock that I've bedded. The stock was one I bought separately, as it was sat in a custom synthetic stock.

The factory trigger is too heavy for me, I've adjusted it to its lowest, which is about 3lbs. I need 1.75 to 2lbs.

Now I have seen Timney do a trigger unit designated to fit the A series and its predecessor the L597. Is this the most suitable? Will it fit with little to no other modification?

If some can come forward with personal experiences in this, it would be much appreciated.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Sako L579/AII has a trigger mounting frame identical to the 98 Mauser, so any trigger which fits one will fit the other. Except the trigger safety may be a bit different, depending on who made the trigger and what they were attempting to duplicate. The bottom line is that replacing your AII trigger with an aftermarket model may require either modifying the stock inletting or the safety lever -- or it may fit perfectly without such efforts.

It is possible that your AII may be a very late one which used what is often referred to as the "Tikka" trigger and not the previous Sako #4 trigger. If this is the case then you might try an original Sako #4 trigger in its place. The Sako #4 was one of the best triggers ever used on a hunting rifle, but the best of them are limited on the downside to about the range you're looking for, while some of them won't safely go below the 3 pounds that your current trigger achieves.

3. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    On the Sako Rifles Club Facebook page one of the members has had installed an Adjustable Valmet sniper trigger. This is on his AII. I have no idea where he got it from or how difficult they are to source, but he is quite happy with it.

Pete

4. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Hunter, are you in the US? If so I have a NIB canjar trigger that I'd sell. It is not a set trigger, but I've read that it could attain the wt. You need. Send me a PM.

Gary