• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako bolt disassembly instructions, part 1

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Murkula

Disassembling a L61R AV bolt for cleaning and inspection is very easily done, but someone who has not done it before might find these instructions helpful.

Sako actions compatible with these instructions:
L461 AI, L579 AII, L61R AIII, L61R AV, L61R AIV, S491, M591, L691

Difficulty level: 1/5 (very easy)
Tools needed: none
Time needed: First time a couple of minutes, with some experience a few seconds.

To disassemble the bolt:

1. Remove the bolt from the receiver.
2. Grab the bolt body with your left hand, bolt face facing down.
3. Press the bolt face against a clean, flat surface (wooden table top with a towel on it works great).
4. Grab the bolt shroud firmly with thumb and index finger of your right hand.
5. Rotate bolt shroud clockwise until firing pin assembly is released.

To assemble the bolt:

1. Note where the locking lug on the bolt shroud is located.
2. Grab the bolt body with your left hand, bolt face facing down.
3. Press the bolt face against a clean, flat surface.
4. Grab the bolt shroud firmly with thumb and index finger of your right hand.
5. Align the bolt shroud locking lug with the corresponding groove on the bolt body.
6. Press firmly on the bolt shroud until the firing pin assembly is deep enough inside the bolt body.
7. Rotate firing pin shroud counter clockwise until cocking piece cam stops in the resting groove before the cocking slope.

L61R_disassembly_01a.jpg
Disassembled L61R AV bolt.

L61R_disassembly_02.jpg
Bolt shroud locking lug aligned with the groove on the bolt body - note the location of the resting groove.

L61R_disassembly_03.jpg

Correctly assembled L61R AV bolt, cocking piece cam is in the resting groove.

Notes:

When assembling the bolt do not overturn the bolt shroud so that the cocking piece falls to the forward (uncocked) position. If this happens, the bolt needs to be re-cocked. One good way to accomplish this is shown in the "Recocking any bolt action rifle" video found on this same forum.

TRG-21, TRG-22, TRG-41, TRG-42, TRG-S M995, Sako 75 & Sako 85 bolts disassemble in very similar fashion, but the bolt shroud is not attached to the firing pin assembly, so assembling is slightly different.

I've noticed that some people used to disassembling Mauser style actions with fixed extractor seem to have a tendency to start removing the guiding strip found on Sako bolts - I'd suggest that you leave the guiding strip in place.

Last edited:
Bolt disassembly is super easy with the Sako 85s. They come with a plastic device referred to as a “cocking wrench.” It is shaped on the inside to slip over the 85 bolt shroud and give you a grip on the shroud to move the cocking piece out of the holding notch and disassemble the bolt if desired. It's available from the Beretta USA website--labelled "Sako Cocking Wrench for 85 series"--for $18. Here's a pic (apologies for its lack of crispness):
LeM9q40.jpg

I have one from the only Mod 85 I used to own and found it works on all my L and A series rifles as well. However not for my square bridge L46s.

I have one from the only Mod 85 I used to own and found it works on all my L and A series rifles as well. However not for my square bridge L46s.
Works on your L series? I was thinking of making something to do it. Guess there is no point if it will do the job!

Latest posts

Back