Sako L461 .222 magnum chamber question-pictures added

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Geno, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Geno

Geno Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Several months ago I posted in the "valuation section" asking for an estimate on value of this rifle and a question about what looked to me like a bushing in the chamber. I received several replies, for which I am grateful and a request for pictures. I posted the pictures yesterday but they are in the valuation section where they might not be seen. I purchased this rifle in about 2000 and have fired it. The cases look normal and it shoots very accurately. My question is does this chamber look normal? The rifle is very clean and does not appear to have been shot much. It is a serial number in the 75xxx range. I am considering selling it and want to present it accurately. Many thanks for any help. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

2. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    hey guy, nice rifle

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  3. Geno

Geno Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Hi cl_leg, Here is the link to my previous post: https://sakocollectors.com/forum/th...-sako-l-461-222-remington-magnum-value.13312/
    You were the first to comment on it and requested pictures of the "bushing". My information is in my profile up here as well as a little in my previous post if that helps you any. I apologize for not getting the pictures up more quickly but I got involved in a very difficult family situation involving a death and just didn't get to it quicker. As mentioned in the post I have been a Sako owner of several pieces for about 50 years and am trying to learn.

4. sakofan

sakofan Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Hi Geno
    That’s interesting. I have just checked my 222 Magnum rifles comprising three L461’s and two L469’s. Neither my L469 varminter or sporter have that bushing/ insert?? However all of the L461’s do have it and look identical to yours. That includes a bofors sporter with serial number 89xxx, a non bofors varminter with serial number 88xxx and a bofors varminter with serial number 103xxx. Incidentally this rifle also has Aussie bolt shroud. All have 12 groove rifling which I am assuming yours has also. Out of curiosity I checked my L579’s and none of them have an insert.

Geno likes this.
  5. Geno

Geno Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Hi sakofan,
    I really appreciate your help. As clean as my rifle is, I found it hard to believe someone needed to do any "repair" on it yet it didn't look like my other eight Sakos of different calibers.. I think it is safe to assume that, based on your information, this is a factory original chamber and has not been modified. I don't really want to sell this gun but I'm getting to the age where I can't devote enough time to what I own. Thanks again for your efforts.
    Sincerely, Geno

6. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    This made me pull a bunch of Sakos out of the safe. I checked my L469 and no sign of what could be thought of as a bushing or chamber insert. I looked at my L461 Bofors marked heavy barrel and you can see what does look like a bushing/insert and I conclude that there must be something about the chamber reamer that makes it look like there is a bushing...

Geno likes this.
  7. sakofan

sakofan Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    CADF1C80-8A59-429B-B7D3-6C0D135AAAF2.jpeg AFB13B1B-A179-4237-92D2-7C40B6E8E8FE.jpeg 9578EB15-7B88-4EBF-A60A-E805579760E0.jpeg F7CCD2DA-1E78-4AD2-AACD-A50C0D3FFAAB.jpeg View attachment 15305 View attachment 15306 View attachment 15307 I agree. For interest sake I decided to cut open a worn out bofors 222 magnum barrel that was given to be by a retired professional roo shooter. I have taken a couple of photos to show there is no evidence of any inserts just a raised lip at the entrance. Note the M stamp on the end. This is a 12 groove barrel and the gun it came from also had the mysterious M stamp on the receiver that has been discussed before.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    douglastwo, Geno and deergoose like this.
  8. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hello Gino.
    I am not familiar with this difference between these two models in the same caliber. I have several .222 Rem in L46 and L461 but no .222 Rem Mag so can't compare. So now I will not be able to rest until I dig them out and see if I have one of these oddballs. The first thought that comes to mind is a possible production method for bolt-barrel combinations of different calibers to adapt to these two models. Possibly to save production expense previous to model updates? One example would be much less time and labor to ream for adjustment of head spacing. Maybe I am wild guessing but this combination sure seems odd when found only in one specific caliber and two models of Sakos. Also it seems that the bolt face must be recessed deeper than normal to match the extended ring for proper cartridge seating. Another reason might be to prevent seating of a similar cartridge of a different caliber or a trial method of gas sealing of the rim area in case of a blown case. Anyway, it is an interesting variation and some of you gentlemen might further check out the differences in the bolt faces by measurements and give us your opinions. Sakojim.

9. sakofan

sakofan Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    35D2C24A-ED94-4503-AE37-041B3B4C7C11.jpeg 05C40CA8-410F-4778-9DDF-87210AB330A8.jpeg 72341D75-4C84-489F-A07C-0D86C0111701.jpeg D0239F65-7374-43E2-9488-84751F1749ED.jpeg I cant see any measureable difference in the bolt faces in fact I am not sure the rim on the L461 .222 magnum chambers serves much purpose at all? Maybe someone else can help out here? Attached are a couple of photos showing an old factory Remington round in the cut away chamber. If anything the extractor may be a fraction smaller on the L461 bolt to avoid touching the chamber rim which it seems to do with the L469 bolts. (The third photo from the top). I noticed that L469 bolts have one single punch mark in one the lugs whilst the L461 bolts have two marks.

10. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Just my opinion.......no bushing. Just a polishing, or rub, area/ring.

11. desperado

desperado Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    My L469 bolt has two punch marks, 222 Rem Mag.

12. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Those punch marks are left by rockwell hardness tester. I don't think they indicate anything.

13. desperado

desperado Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That makes sense! Thank you for the logical explanation.