Sako L579 244 Deluxe

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by ulrich26, Oct 20, 2017.

1. ulrich26

ulrich26 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I have A Sako L579 244 Deluxe, and it's factory recoil pad is starting to deteriorate. I have found a reproduction sako recoil pad. Would I be lowering the value of this gun if i had the recoil pad replaced. Also would I be ruining the value of this gun if i had it refinished? the clearcoat is starting to form some faint cracks in it, and it also has a heavy scratch/ light gouge on it.

2. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    If you can find a true professional that has the ability to do the job correctly, its not a problem.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    A replaced pad and refinished stock will appeal to a different set of buyers than an original, but somewhat worn, rifle. Just how worn the rifle finish is would determine whether the rifle is more valuable in its original condition or professionally refinished.

However, if your primary concern is its net market value, then I can almost certainly tell you that if you improve its value at all, you won't improve its value by as much as you spend to refinish it.

But if your primary concern is how it appeals to you, then it is your rifle and you should do with it whatever pleases you the most.

4. bobinmaine

bobinmaine Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    My 12xxx L579 deluxe stock finish has alligatored over the more than 50 years of hunting. I love the way it looks. Bob.

5. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    @ulrich26 It sounds like you may be describing crazing in the clear coat. I've seen this happen to 50+ year old Weatherbys as well. I've read that some rotten stone can aid in a refinish but, I've never done it myself! It sounds like you have quite a rifle by the way! 244 deluxe! Any chance you can share some pictures? Interesting floorplate perhaps?