sako l579 mannlicher 308 23.5 "

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by adirondacks, Mar 15, 2014.

1. adirondacks

adirondacks Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Greetings,

Finally found a 308 mannlicher, this one is the long barrel, late model l579, with barrel band, screw on front sight. Serial 116,xxx. This one was in the original box, with bolt peep, 99.99% condition, guy said bolt was never installed, looks like brand new. I know that it is very late and not bofors marked, but I could not resist. Does anyone know the manufacture date, I know that 118961 is last pre garcia L579. What is the deal with the long barrel mannlichers ?? Does anyone have the low down and history, such as quantity etc... The box has a label on the long part, not the end, that says "Firearms LTD, England" on it, in big red letters. Is this Firearms int ??. I'll try to get my daughter to post some pics too. Thanks

Best
    Adirondacks

2. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Great find. I can't wait to see the pictures of this one. I haven't got a clue about that distributor. I would bet our British Isle members know about them. - Misako

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The full stock Forester with a 23" barrel was not cataloged (at least in the U.S.) when your rifle was made, so I'm guessing that it was made for the European market and imported to the U.S. by an individual. It is most likely a G.I. bring back, otherwise it is supposed to have an import mark on it. You have quite a find: An uncataloged variation, over 40 years old, and new in the box. Doesn't get much better! Will love to see the photos -- be sure to get the box labels, too.

4. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Nothing like Sako eye candy !!! ANY clean fullstock in .308 can be hard to find. If you had told me it was a carbine, I'd say to myself 'good job', and would be eager to see the pics. But, you've told us it has the full length rifle barrel in fullstock. Holy cow !!...worthy of some comments.....As others have said, rare bird. They just didn't make that many of them. I would be interested in looking for pre-Garcia or pre-'72 characteristics like finely checkered scope blocks, a rear sling swivel, dark stained walnut, etc......does the bolt have a protruding pin ?

As for that distributor, yes from England....but I can only guess. I have a NIB Sako with that label on it. Yes, it looks like a piece of tape with the bright red letters on it.

Pat yourself on the back ! You gotta good one!
    thanks,
    DeerGoose

5. adirondacks

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Sako long barrel 308 Mannlicher

Deergoose,

I found out a few more things, Firearms Co, LTD was in Bridgewater, England. Imported and made guns in the 60's and early 70's ( said they imported sporadically) The guy that put this on consignment with the dealer I purchased it from supposedly has had this gun in the box since the early seventies. The box does not have a label like other sako's , but rather a small 1 x 4" label that states rec'd 5 nov 74 the price of 236.99 and a stock number etc and a larger 4 x 24" label that says FIREARMS COMPANY, LTD England in red letters. No label on the end of the box. It does have the bolt pin which I have never seen, ( what is the story with that ?) and the scope block checkering is not as fine as the other older Sako's I have. The gun does "not" have any importer making under the barrel. I am waiting for my daughter to upload pic's once she gets home from work, think I just heard her, pics soon maybe!

Best
    Adirondacks

6. adirondacks

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Here's some pictures.
    -Adirondacks

SAKO.JPG SAKO_2.JPG SAKO_3.JPG

Attached Files:

7. adirondacks

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Here's some more
    -Adirondacks
    SAKO_6.JPG SAKO_8.JPG SAKO_11.JPG SAKO_5.JPG

8. emmerth

emmerth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Sweet! I am not a full stock guy but I do have a few. Nice find.

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    "It does have the bolt pin which I have never seen, ( what is the story with that ?)"

The pin pressed into the side of the bolt keeps the bolt from rotating when the bolt handle is lifted. This system was adopted in the early 1970's in the place of the groove which served the same purpose on the older actions.

I'm sticking with the theory that it is a GI bring back. My guess is that the GI sold it to a U.S. dealer who put their store tag on the box when they bought/traded for it in 1974. It subsequently sold to the consignor who consigned it to the dealer you bought it from. At least that appears to be the ownership chain.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  10. adirondacks

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Sako long barrel 308 Mannlicher

Stonecreek, Do you think that the Firearms co, LTD label, etc was possible where the guy purchased the gun in England, and then later brought it back to the US with him. Having no import markings kind of supports the theory that it was not imported by Firearms co ltd. Also, when Sako sold to the English market, did they put the box end labels on those guns ? I kinda think it must have had one at some point, but maybe removed when it was either shipped or brought back with the guy and the other labels applied. Was it easy to bring in a gun from another county in 1974 ? What year do you think this gun was made, around 1971-2, it couldn't be 74 could it, it is all L579. Thanks for your input Best Adirondacks

11. emmerth

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    adirondacks,

I have 2 guns (that I know of) that have the Firearms Co, LTD on the boxes. Both were GI bring backs according to the original owner. Not sure about the labels on the ends, I will have to check next time I have them out of storage. I have them put away and sealed so they will not fall apart. In reference to how difficult it was to bring them back, I do not know but there seems to be a good many of them floating around in the US.

12. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Back in the 1960's and 1970's a member of the U.S. military on duty in many places in Europe could, with the consent of his or her commanding officer, purchase a rifle or shotgun (usually at a store or shooting club on the base) and bring it home without any import permit or other red tape. Quite a few Sakos came to the U.S. this way. These rifles will have no import mark.

However, many people wrongly assume that a Sako with no import mark is therefore a "G.I. bringback". This overlooks the fact that no Sakos had import marks prior to the 1968 Gun Control Act which mandated that the importer mark the gun with its name and location, ie. "Firearms International, Wash, D.C." or something similar.

13. adirondacks

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    StoneCreek, Emmereth, Deergoose etc:

Question for the experts: Would a sako mannlicher, with no import markings, that was made post 1968 GCA (#116,xxx,what year is this made?), for the European market (England ), not have any of the model 72 attributes during this time period ? The mannlicher that I just purchased, does have the model 72 bolt pin along with the reddish color stock. In contrast though, it does have the steel checkered scope bases, with fine wood checkering (no skip line), and the buffing and bluing is very high quality. In your opinions, would you say this 23.5" mannlicher is indeed a model 72 or is it still a high quality late l579 produced for the non US market, without the cost cutting issues of the model 72 ?? I am sort of confused about this one.

ADK's

14. emmerth

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    ad, I appreciate the vote of confidence but I am certainly not the expert when it comes to these full stock guns. Not sure if the other guys will see this but our resident Model 72 expert is enotstchw. He owns and knows more about these guns than any one I know. And, he is a pretty cool dude. :cool2:

15. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Model 72 was produced only in the sporter model. Its action features like smooth tops, duller blue, etc., did not carry over to other Sakos produced contemporaneously with the Model 72 (Heavy Barrel, Deluxe, Mannlicher). The bolt pin is not a feature of the Model 72 per se, but was a modification of the entire Sako line at the time. Your Mannlicher may (or may not) have been produced during the same period that Model 72's were being produced, but that doesn't make it a Model 72.

16. adirondacks

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Thanks emmereth & stonecreek,

Just when I think I know something, I learn a few things. I've been after a 308 Mannlicher for a while and jumped at this one thinking I knew something about them and then all these unique issues came up with this one. My brother just found a clean "bofors" 308 mannlicher 20" with cheap scope and sako rings for 900.00 at a show in Tennesse, so they do pop up when you aren't expecting it.

Did the model 72 have a L579 action that is marked as such or are they stamped model 72 ?

Thanks

Adirondacks

17. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No, there is no marking on the rifle which identifies a Model 72. Their actions were stamped L461, L579, or L61R just like any other Sako. In fact, many Model 72's had actions identical in features and finish to non-Model 72's. Sako soon found there was little or no savings in the small shortcuts designed into the Model 72, and Garcia soon found that the few dollars they could knock off of the retail price was insufficient to move mid-level buyers from Remingtons and Rugers to Sakos (the sinking value of the Dollar versus most foreign currencies in the 1970's pushed the price of European-made goods well above their domestic competitors, regardless of how much the Europeans tried to shave costs).