• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako long range accuracy

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

plattski

I've begun searching for a .308 Forester L579 Mannlicher carbine and wonder what other members have found about the accuracy of that configuration? Will these rifles hold MOA groups? As far as 200-300 yards? Does the Mannlicher stock effect accuracy? I'm looking for a solid rifle to use in the field for deer, antelope and elk hunting and would appreciate your experience with Sako carbines. Thanks.

I have a .308 carbine with a mannlicher stock - its a deadly deer rifle - the barrel is only 18 1/2 inches long - its drives nails - I hunt in the northern Maine mountians with it and the lonset shot I ever took with it was 200 yards - the 10 pointer is on my wall

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

Plattski- You would be that part of the firing mechanism that determines the accuracy of the rifle. Every Sako I own, shoots better than I do.-Misako

I've hunting with my pride and joy, AV 30-06, 18 1/2" barrel Mannlicher for two years now. Pillar bedded and glass bedded shooting either 150 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws or 150 gr Swift Scirocco's, it will shoot 1/2 MOA. It'd shoot better if I could. 180's also shoot great.
Two seasons ago I took a nice mulie at 460 yds(ranged). Sighted in 3" high at a 100 and practice, I've got plenty of confidence in this rifle as far as accuracy goes.
Mark

I agree that a shooter is the primary source of accuracy for any rifle. My question was mostly directed at people's experience with Mannlicher stocked rifles and opinions as to whether the full stock and extra barrel hardware effects accuracy differently than a similar rifle with sporter stock? I shoot a BLR carbine with a barrel band and notice that after I've shot a few rounds at the range the group opens up as the barrel heats and rides against the forearm hardware. Any similar effects related to the Mannlicher? I've never had a problem with my Browning while hunting because the barrel never gets a chance to heat up much. I would anticipate the same with a Mannlicher. Just curious about your experiences at the range. Beautiful guns. Thanks.

Plattski- contact with your forearm after heat up will need correction if it happens to you with the mannlicher. This is the first thing I look for if the rifles not "performing". I will also add that I don't have problems with Sako rifles that I don't cause myself. Reloading properly has been my best accuracy tool. It amazes me that the L579 .308s that I have, all like the same recipe for reloads and the .243s all like the same recipe. It may be strange coincidence but I think it has more to do with consistent quality. Mark mentions confidence, and I think this is the most important ingredient in sport shooting and hunting. I never think twice about what I'm hunting with.- Mike

Latest posts

Back