Sako made rifle scoopes?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Noplans, May 2, 2021.

1. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Hi

I saw that there is a Sako rifle scoope for sale.
    Anyone know if they where made in Finland.
    Larsa

Attached Files:

2. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hello.
    I have never heard of Sako being in the scope business but anything is possible. Could this be a Sako emblem added by a previous owner? Could be an outsourced item as part of what may have been a promotional package. The experts will let you know if Sako may have at one time sold an outsourced scope under their name. Sakojim.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, there were a few scopes marketed under the Sako name. They were made by a contractor, not by Sako. I've slept a few nights since first coming across that information, but I had one in my possession for a while. I do know that Jim, our SCC president, had one at one time. He might be able to tell you who the manufacturer was.

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I've never seen a Sako scope, but I used to have a Tikka scope. I bought it in Helsinki in the early 90's when I lived there. At the time, Tikka was selling a complete line of scopes in Finland. I'm pretty sure the Tikka scopes were made by Hakko in Japan - my Tikka scope looked identical to a Hakko that was sold under its own name. I sold it to Sean, the guy who organized the former Sako collectors' club and website (after SCA and before the current SCC). I regret selling it; wish I still had it. I've never seen another Tikka scope in the USA.

Of course, the Sako scope in the photo is much, much older than the Tikka scopes.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, Hakko is the optics company that I couldn't remember. I think that the "Sako"-branded scopes were also made by Hakko, a Japanese company which has made many proprietary-branded riflescopes and other optics over the years. Hakko is capable of making excellent optics, but naturally they gear the quality to whatever is required by the retail price which the proprietary customer is aiming for.

6. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    A Sako Scoope ! I want one ! Ice cream would be like 10 times better! Imagine the accuracy!

no really, I remember finding one of these Sako Branded Scopes many years ago. When I found they were not actually Sako scopes I lost interest.
    I guess it would be neat to have one set up on something from the same period of time. I know I’ve seen worse choices atop a fine Sako before.

The Old Hippie

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Actually Hakko made, and still does, some very fine scopes. They just don't import much to the US under their own name. I've owned a couple over the years, including one with a multi-colored reticle that used ambient light instead of a battery that I regret letting go with the rifle it was on that I sold to this day.