• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Mauser

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Banned
Years ago, I remember seeing what I thought was a Sako built on a 98 Mauser style action. It was in .300 H&H; magnum, and was not a custom job (I believe both barrell and action were marked Sako). Does anyone have any info. on the time frame/history of these rifles, or know where I might find one?

Those are very nice rifles, pre L61R, and built with a reminiscence of the FN Mausers of the pre 60 era. They pop up on the sale side of the popular auction and other sites from time to time.If you go back thru the posts on here, you can find the information you need. Many people have them and aren't sure what they have.- Mike

Sako didn't start making it's own "long" action until about 1961 (the L61R). So, from sometime in the early '50s until the L61R was introduced, Sako purchased Mauser actions from FN which they built their longer chamberings on. The .300 H&H; was very common in this Sako-Mauser. As was the style of the day, many of them were rechambered to the .300 Weatherby.

The FN-actioned Sakos had a rather heavy barrel contour, and as Mike said, were very similar to the rifles that FN itself marketed and to the Browning Safari. I've seen them in .30-06, .300 H&H;, and 8x60. I think they were also chambered in .270 and likely some other calibers. By far the majority I've seen have been in the H&H; (or rechambered to Weatherby -- what a shame.)

Guys!

IxB4ve just been reading some old Firearms International catalogs and the M98 Sako was sold in (in the US) as Sako Hi-Power in cal .270 and .30-06. It was also marketed as Sako Magnum Mauser in .300H&H; and .375H&H.; Barrel, trigger(adjustable) and stock was made by Sako.

The earliest had the usual M98 safety but later it was sold with a sliding safety on the right side. Came with a two blade folding sight and a straight stock for the Hi Power and a Monte Carlo for the Magnums.
IxB4ve seen a .375 with straight stock and Hi PowerxB4s with Monte Carlo. So itxB4s normal Sako "interchangability!"

They were sold with other calibers here in Scandinavia. IxB4ve seen .270, .30-06, 8x57IS, 9,3x62, 8x60IS, .300H&H;, .375H&H.;

There were two types of floorplates. One is hinged and opens by a releasebutton on the triggerguad. The other requires a tool and comes loose when opened!

I had one of these in .30-06 but in a moment of total insanity, I sold it!! Yes I know!! But itxB4s all part of the 6 gun limit here in Sweden!!!
But I will get another when I can. They surface every now and and then so....!

They are very nice rifles and handles beautifully! Well balanced and VERY nice looking!

Here is a link to a Swedish forum where there are some pics:

http://forum.robsoft.nu/viewtopic.php?f=20&t;=70980

Among others, a fullstocked version!

Jim

Thanks for the link, Jim. Although all I can do is look at the pics, there's some classic and very handsome rifles there. Was one of the more recent posts referring to additional calibers (257 Bob, 220Swift, 300Sav, and 250-3000)?

Thanks, Dick

Dick!

ThatxB4s right!! IxB4ve never seen or heard of any of these calibers when it comes to Sako Hi PowerxB4 s or Magnum MauserxB4s. But as we all now, anyything is and has been possible with Sako!!

There are a few pics of my old M98 in the photo section if you want to see more!

regards

Jim

They don't surface in the US very often. I saw one in 375 H&H; with fantastic wood wit an FN shroud at the Tulsa show 3 years ago....he was asking 5K. I went back to look at it again and take a few pictures.....it was sold. That was back in the day that Sako's were truly Mod 98 Mausers. They probably scrubbed K98's and rebarreled them. Wished I had one for my collection but it will probably never be. Regards, Rick.

Thanks very much for the information; as always, there's a wealth of it out there. This forum seems to be the only resource for it. Hope it continues!

Happy Holidays!

Last year I swapped a Browning Safari for a M98 Sako in .30-06. It has the Mauser safety, a Monte Carlo stock and a push-button floor plate that detaches. It has seen some time in the field but it's in great condition for its age, with a clean bore and the action smooth as silk. I've got it mounted with an old Redfield 2x7. It has a great feel and balance and plenty of life left in it, enough to down an elk this fall. I'll try to post some pictures. I'd love to get an accurate fix on when this rifle was manufactured.

I have been trying to figure out which sako I have and this thread helps. I have a mauser action 30.06 with serial # that starts 1084XX. Any idea when this was made? What its worth? I will post pics soon.

Thanks

I recently looked at a Sako mauser in 270 tang safety, it was in pretty good condition, some stock dings and a couple scratches in the bluing, otherwise good, still had the sight hood. The gentleman said the rifle was manufactured in 1955, and his father purchased it in Germany in 1959 from the PX. I almost bought it but found the serial number on the bolt was three numbers higher than the rifle. He said he never noticed that and he remembered his father said there was six of these rifles in the PX when he bought it, so maybe the bolts were switched. Well I didn't buy it because I thought value would be hurt, now I'm not sure.
Did I do the right thing?
Thanks

Hi!
ItxB4s not easy to say when one havenxB4t seen it and I guess it all boils down to the condition and how much it cost and how much you are willing to pay? As usual.
They are worth a good deal of money IMO because they are well made and scarce. At least in good condition.
How much was the asking price?
Here some info about the Sako Mauser or High Power plus some info on the short Action Mausers (i.e L46):

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for your input. The condition is fairly good, I have never seen one, so not really sure what to look for but the bluing on the receiver is very good, the barrel is also nice with a couple scratches. The floorplate is not hinged but removable and has some slight possible pitting. The stock looks hunted, but nothing major, still has what looks like original swivels and the two blade sight.
I will try to post a poor picture of the actual rifle. Wants $600
Thanks
Dave

Since I live in Sweden IxB4m not in the loop when it comes to the US pricing of these IxB4m afraid!! Guess someone else will have to chip in.
But to me 600 sound a bit too steep!?! They are quite inexpensive here and I still bash myself on the head for parting with a 30-06 a while back.
If I find complete one again with the safety on the right side and hinged floorplate I will buy it! Good Luck!
Jim

I have a Sako Mauser in 8x57JS and mainly use it for pig hunting (shoots very well with RWS TIG 196gr).

Question: The rifle has microrifling and it seems opinions are very divided when trying to find out

whether this is of any benefit or not. Do you have experience of Sako rifles with micro rifling? The barrel of the rifle in question has "Bofors Steel" printed on it.

Cheers,

SS

PS: I was once about to sell the rifle, when an American riflemagazine writer advised me not do so:

".....those were the best rifles Sako ever built....."

SS -

I think most of the negative comments are related to the Sako/Marlins with the true Marlin Microgroove barrel. What you describe is not the same thing. Sako's version is likely much harder steel and not sure, but I think 12g vs 16g. My own impression is that the Sako multigroove is not as tolerant of fouling as their more conventional grooved barrels.

Pretty bold statement from your writer friend - he may have been a Mauser guy. I would agree that the rifle comes from a period in time when more time was taken with fittment details - not just Sako either.

Dick

I have a Bofors .222 with the 12 (?) groove "micro" rifling. It routinely shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I've had no problems with fouling, even when using it on a prairie dog hunt where it might shoot as many as 100 rounds in an afternoon without cleaning.

Back